"County of Spires and Squires." Northamptonshire by nhcram
Northamptonshire Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 306 photos
Just 15 minutes off the M1 motorway, you will find yourself in the very heart of rural England. Known as the county of spires and squires because of the many churches and fine houses in the many villages that make up this fairly flat county. It is steeped in English history. Richard the third was born in Fotheringay castle. Mary Queen of Scots was also beheaded here, and to this day, Scottish thistles grow on the banks of the River Nene, where the castle once stood.
Surprisingly for a land-locked county, you're never far away from water in Northamptonshire, with its many canals rivers and lakes.
The landscape around this part of Northamptonshire is mainly rural with many lovely sleepy little villages dotted... more travel advice
nhcram's Related Pages
Northamptonshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "County of Spires and Squires."
- "Northamptonshire: The East Midlands"
- "Self Catering Cottages"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Northamptonshire
- Hotels in Northamptonshire
- Transportation in Northamptonshire
- Nightlife in Northamptonshire
- Restaurants in Northamptonshire
- Shopping in Northamptonshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Northamptonshire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Northamptonshire
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Northamptonshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Northamptonshire
Photos in NorthamptonshireSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 36 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 38 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 31 reviews, 46 photos
- Karlsruhe Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kent Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madrid Intro, 29 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aquitaine Intro, 23 reviews, 33 photos