"Tongdo-sa Temple and Yeongchug Mountain" Tongdo-ri by Intrepidduck
Tongdo-ri Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 9 photos
Tongdo-sa was founded in 646 AD by the patriarch Chajang. This was during the reign of Queen Seondeok, the 27th ruler of the Silla dynasty. The most important structure in the complex was the Daegwangmyeong-jeon, "The Great Hall of Light" and housing a Vairocana Buddha. The Vairocana Buddha was said to emanate a bright light far and wide, inable to be viewed by the human eye.
There are to be found a variety of different pagodas on the temple grounds. Outside of the Geungnakjeon is the Three Storied Pagoda of Tongdo-sa, while the peculiar Bongbal pagoda which looks like, and symbolizes, a rice bowl of the monks is located infront of the Yonghwajeon Hall.
The word Tongdo-sa derives from the the expression "to master the whole truth and to redeem the world". The temple complex comprises of some 65 existing buildings, most of which are of timber construction, common to Korean temples. Also in the traditional style they are painted in the decorative "dancheong" method. Here is generally used red, blue, yellow, black and white coloured pigments. This painting was also to protect the timber and hide "cruder" detail in the wood by the Dancheongjangs, artist skilled in this work.
- Pros:Splendid example of temple architecture.
- Cons:Can get crowded on weekends.
- In a nutshell:Great Architecture and hiking in same vacinity.
If you have left the thermos at home you can be assured that somebody is thinking of you almost where ever you go hiking... more travel advice
Intrepidduck's Related Pages
Tongdo-ri Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Tongdo-ri
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Tongdo-ri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tongdo-ri
Photos in Tongdo-riSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Moscow Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Seoul Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Qingdao Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Fitzroy Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Listvyanka Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Australia Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos