"Busan: Korea's Second City" Top 5 Page for this destination Busan by Intrepidduck
Busan Travel Guide: 338 reviews and 911 photos
"Where is it" you may ask, that's what the travel agent in Melbourne said when he was about to proceed with my flight booking. "Where is it" I said just a couple of weeks before when I was given the details of a job offer here. I had bought a map of Korea and all I could find was Pusan, located in the SE corner of the peninsular.
So where is it? Busan was called Pusan up until recent and had reverted to it's correct spelling like many location all across South Korea.
Busan is a sprawling city of 4 million inhabitants and the second largest city in Korea. It is also the third largest port in Asia after Osaka / Kobe and Hong Kong. Much of the industry the Busan area is shipping and fish processing - they can be found in the many multileveled fish factories. The Jagalchi fish markets in Nampo-dong is where one will find every thing fishy around here.
Inspite of it's size and fish related industries Busan offers great hiking and beaches. While they are nothing to compare with Australia's wild beaches, they are much loved and appreciated by the high rise apartment dwelling locals. Haeundae is the Bondi of Korea - concrete and crowds!
To quote Bruce Chatwin "What Am I Doing Here?" The reasons why I came here are of the following. Well like eight hundred other foreign English speakers I came to Busan to teach English working in a "hagwon", a kindergarten / elementary school. Thus Busan was my "home" away from home in 2003 / 04 and was an interesting experience working towards improving Korea's English language needs.
- Pros:Not over run by tourists, good Korean food, great hiking.
- Cons:A bit of a cultural backwater
- In a nutshell:Interesting place to be now and a city on the verge of great changes
Beomeosa is one of Korea's finest temple complexs and has been well looked after. Here one finds many of the traditional... more travel advice
- See All Busan: Getting there by Ferry from Japan
- See All Busan: Micro Breweries
- See All Busan: Department Stores
Intrepidduck's Related Pages
Busan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My first year abroad"
- "Busan = Pusan, 2nd largest city of South Korea"
- "Busan: Korea's Second City"
- "I always love to be at the BEACH!"
- "Weekends in Busan"
- "BUSAN - MARITIME CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Busan
- Hotels in Busan
- Transportation in Busan
- Nightlife in Busan
- Restaurants in Busan
- Shopping in Busan
- Warnings and Dangers in Busan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Busan
- 34 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Busan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Busan
Photos in BusanSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 34 reviews, 33 photos
- T'bilisi Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Moscow Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos
- Seoul Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Qingdao Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Fitzroy Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Listvyanka Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Australia Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Kilda Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos