"Busan: Korea's Second City" Top 5 Page for this destination Busan by Intrepidduck

Busan Travel Guide: 306 reviews and 758 photos

Pusan - Busan

"Where is it" you may ask, that's what the travel agent in Melbourne said when he was about to proceed with my flight booking. "Where is it" I said just a couple of weeks before when I was given the details of a job offer here. I had bought a map of Korea and all I could find was Pusan, located in the SE corner of the peninsular.

So where is it? Busan was called Pusan up until recent and had reverted to it's correct spelling like many location all across South Korea.

Busan is a sprawling city of 4 million inhabitants and the second largest city in Korea. It is also the third largest port in Asia after Osaka / Kobe and Hong Kong. Much of the industry the Busan area is shipping and fish processing - they can be found in the many multileveled fish factories. The Jagalchi fish markets in Nampo-dong is where one will find every thing fishy around here.

Inspite of it's size and fish related industries Busan offers great hiking and beaches. While they are nothing to compare with Australia's wild beaches, they are much loved and appreciated by the high rise apartment dwelling locals. Haeundae is the Bondi of Korea - concrete and crowds!

To quote Bruce Chatwin "What Am I Doing Here?" The reasons why I came here are of the following. Well like eight hundred other foreign English speakers I came to Busan to teach English working in a "hagwon", a kindergarten / elementary school. Thus Busan was my "home" away from home in 2003 / 04 and was an interesting experience working towards improving Korea's English language needs.

• Pros:Not over run by tourists, good Korean food, great hiking.
  • Cons:A bit of a cultural backwater
  • In a nutshell:Interesting place to be now and a city on the verge of great changes
  • Last visit to Busan: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 3, 2006

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 2:00 AM

Thanks for sharing, your tips will come in handy on my trip in June! :))

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2004 at 12:19 PM

Very helpful info. Thank you. I'm going to Busan soon.

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 6:34 PM

Wonderful info.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 6:42 PM

With love for yr of beaten tips ! Just great ! Greetz

• Jun 21, 2004 at 9:37 AM

Wow those are my friends in that Crossroads pic. There gonna love seein themselves up on the net =P Who are you, I been here bout 2 months and I pretty much live at Crossroads. Nice info on Busan

• travelife's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 11:01 PM

Great page on Busan.. very helpful tips. /Reza

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2004 at 11:32 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed your page on Busan - especially the restaurant and shopping tips!

• mim95's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2004 at 7:28 PM

Nice page! Hiking and drinking wine up in the mountain...can ppl make it back safely?

• awayhome's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 8:46 PM

Great page on your hometown, so beautiful look like so much thing to see=)))

• Hmmmm's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2003 at 6:31 AM

A great start. Some nice pix. I like the Busan Tower one. Busan is a great place. However I was there during Typhoon Maemi. That was an eyeopener. Next time I'm down there, will defiantely give you a shout. Same goes for you in Seoul. Aaron

Intrepidduck