"Oldest Town in Belgium" Top 5 Page for this destination Tongeren by yashiko
Tongeren Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 132 photos
Tongeren, the oldest town in Belgium, was founded in 15 BC as a base and supply station for the Roman troops ?n the Rhine region, at the intersection of the Cologne -Bavay ( Northern France ) and Aarlen- Nijmegen military roads. " Atuatuca Tungrorum " rapidly developed into a major trade center.
Tongeren is situated within the fertile sloping landscape of Haspengouw. It has a surface of 8 500 ha.; it had 29 805 inhabitants on the 1st January 1998. Its centre lies 105 m above sealevel. The "Ambiorixtown" generates from a Roman military logistic encampment. Gradualy a symbiosis with local inhabitants took place and Tongeren developed into one of the largest towns in the north of Gaul. The first Roman city wall of the second century, symbolising the former greatness and power enjoys European fame, is a silent witness of Roman occupation. On the town square stands the statue of Ambiorix, who withstood Julius Ceasar's legions. The Gallo-Roman Museum is located in the heart of Tongeren at the exact spot where a large luxurious Roman villa was built. The underground of Tongeren is one large archaeological archive. The archaeological site near the Basilica shows the remains of an excavated Roman tower of the 4th century. One of the most remarkable monuments of Tongeren is the Basilica of Our Lady with the 64 metres high bell tower. This marvellous church is built in Gotic style and hosts an enormous collection of precious art objects. The city also has a large beguinage, well worth a visit.
The Sunday antique market alone attracts thousands of visitors each week, many of them from across the borders. Tongeren is a town where history still lives and breathes, but it is also a town with a young, dynamic heart.
- In a nutshell:If you like antique this is the place to be
Tongeren also has a long history of Christian traditions. First sanctuary of the Holy Virgin north of the Alpes,... more travel advice
The "Moerenpoort" (or Moeren Gate) was built in 1379. When French troops demolished several city gates in 1673, the... more travel advice
yashiko's Related Pages
Tongeren Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TONGEREN "THE OLDEST TOWN OF BELGIUM""
- "Tongeren - Our home town"
- "Oldest Town in Belgium"
- "Tongeren Belguim"
- "Tongeren - Oldest city in Belgium!"
- "Tongeren Defeats Ceaser"
- "Tongren, home of Ambiorix"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tongeren
- Hotels in Tongeren
- Transportation in Tongeren
- Nightlife in Tongeren
- Restaurants in Tongeren
- Shopping in Tongeren
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tongeren
- 10 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Tongeren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tongeren
Photos in TongerenSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Antwerp Intro, 84 reviews, 167 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 18 reviews, 67 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 19 reviews, 49 photos
- Munich Intro, 11 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 25 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hasselt Intro, 15 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongeren Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels 6 reviews, 14 photos