"Delhi, a very impressing city" Delhi by schlumpf

Delhi Travel Guide: 1,736 reviews and 4,362 photos

Delhi, my landed city of my trip to India and Nepal, is something so beautifull.

Before to leave Italy for India, I heard a lot of bad things about this city, from “it is so bloody dirty”, to “it sticks a lot” and so on...

Once I got there, I was maybe the only one that was feeling confortable with the city.
I landed in the international airport at 2 o’clock in the morning, and then I drop in a car and went to my superduper guesthouse in Old Delhi...

The street was simply black, durty, fullfilled of people and cowes wherever, people awake that calls you...children that were simply walking up and down to those streets, chai seller on the street, biri smokers on the stret.... definitely a surreal situation: This was my first impact to India.....Amazing!

I couldn’t sleep due to the unbreathable air and umidity, such an high umidity, and at 06 am I was again on the street, and the view was the same, the same kids walking up and down, the same chai sellers, the same biri sellers, the same people sleeping on the street side and the same cowes chilling on the street...Only one difference..It was pissing so much rain!

At the end, this is an amazing city, one of the most beautifull I have visited during my stay in India...

I had booked a Guesthouse in Old Delhi on line, and the pictures of the guesthouse showen in the internet were definitely different from the reality. The GH was a crap, definitely a crap, but...Am i in the position to complain a GH that costs less then 2 dollaz for a double with bath?! I do not think so...

But...have a room in the middle of the Old city is really a great experience!

• Last visit to Delhi: Aug 2004
  • Intro Written Jan 11, 2005

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM

You have some beautiful pages on India ..I will return for many more visits.As for Delhi..it reminds me so much of Rome..one of my favourite cities,

• Preetibandooni's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM

don't know if u have already seen these places or not, but would recommend a visit to Delhi Hart & Habitat Center on your next trip to Delhi. Also, just in case you wanna see where the hip crowd of Delhi go to shop, check out GK II, M block market :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM

Nice Delhi pages ....hoping to visit someday! Also, Happy Birthday too...have a nice day! ;jumpingnorman

• Nov 6, 2007 at 9:27 PM

you have some very helpful hints here, thanks for sharing!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 3:15 AM

Very helpful tips on Delhi. I'm hoping to visit next year.

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 11:43 AM

bella la foto del BIRI, sembri un fornaio ahhah ;-) scherzo

• radz's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 10:56 AM

Nice tips.You feel at home in my city ehheeh.

• Apr 23, 2005 at 9:52 AM

great pictures and comments. You like to seel the real life and people without the comforts of home. I'm so impressed.

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 8:15 AM

Useful tips and your pics show the real Delhi!

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 4:41 AM

Luca!! when i saw your intro pic i remembered clear that street as if i was there! and it's because i was there looking for a cyber cafe in a day like your pic but in july!

schlumpf