"colourful FUSION of culture" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang by kenyneo
Penang Travel Guide: 2,525 reviews and 5,542 photos
Well there is no other better place to be ...other than a place where you can indulge in a fragment of history and at the same time pamper yourself with the
vibrant%c* urbanisation ...all in place so rich with people of all ethnicity ( Malay, Chinese, Indian, Sikh and Baba Nyonya community ) living hamoniously and banging into yummiest food ...everywhere you go ..now ..thats paradise !!!!
During the 18th century, the British power was quite dominant in Asia, and it is from this part of the world that the tale begins of the founding of the British settlement in Penang...
1765: Francis Light, under the instruction from his company, Jourdain, Sullivan & de Souza, leaves on the 'Speedwell' for Sumatra and the Malayan Peninsula, in order to establish better trade links with the region. He would, two decades later, establish the first British settlement in this region, on the island of Penang.
1941: (World War II) On 8th December, the Japanese invasion of Malaya begins. The Malayan Peninsula is taken in just three weeks. Penang is bombed, and the British flee the island to the 'impregnable fortress', Singapore.
1945: the Japanese formally surrender on 4th September, and the people of Penang give a truly royal welcome to the arriving allied liberators.
Penang Island, or commonly known as the Pearl of The Orient, has since developed into a contemporary metropolis with modern amenities and simple small town friendliness, offering the best of both worlds.
Beautiful beaches in Batu Ferringgi is gonna sweep you off your feet ...whats more when you can relax at this secluded spot after a busy day ...enjoying the vibrance of city of Penang, and the many historical site ,temples, mosque ...so what are you waiting for ....??
FESTIVALS is an EVERYDAY AFFAIR
Penang has an equatorial climate which is uniformly warm and humid throughout the year. The average minimum and maximum temperatures range from 23 C to 32 C. There are no recognisable hot or cold seasons as such and the mean annual rainfall of approximately 267cm is evenly distributed throughout the year, although September to November may be considered the wettest months.
- Pros:You will know when you are here .....
- Cons:Will update when I can think of one ...
- In a nutshell:Colourful blend of the Malay, Chinese and Indian people ,culture,religion and yummiest food in beautiful and peaceful city ....
And how can you not meet Lin Fah , my late aunty's maid in the underworld. Well just look at her rosy cheek and... more travel advice
Chinese Funeral customs are divided into those following the Taoism rituals or Buddhism rituals. True Buddhism being a... more travel advice
- See All Hokkien Mee
- See All Buddha of 5 Regions
- See All nside the ferry ...on our way to Pulau...
- See All Trishaw ..the traditional transporation...
- See All Festivals from Oct to Dec 2004
kenyneo's Related Pages
Penang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Penang - Prince of Wales Island"
- "Penang - my birthplace"
- "colourful FUSION of culture"
- "Penang for Foodies"
- "Penang My Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penang
- Hotels in Penang
- Transportation in Penang
- Nightlife in Penang
- Restaurants in Penang
- Shopping in Penang
- Warnings and Dangers in Penang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penang
- 89 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 57 Forum posts
- 80 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penang
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Intro, 89 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 62 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 57 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saudi Arabia Intro, 61 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 48 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malaysia Intro, 44 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bahrain Intro, 29 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Europe Intro, 27 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 22 reviews, 26 photos