"A great, cosmopolitan town" Chicago by mrtourne
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,920 reviews and 12,132 photos
Over the years and starting in 1993 I've been to Chicago in numerous occasions. To me, it's an exciting city, on par with New York as far as city life is concerned but smelling much, much better.
I've been to Chicago for work, and for play and to see friends. I've even worked outside of Chicago (in a sleepy suburb on the way to Wisconsin called Vernon Hills) for the better part of 2002. During that time I got to see a lot more of the city, as I would go up at least one night a week into the city when not more, and stayed plenty of weekends
The other thing that I like about Chicago is its architecture. This is a city that knows how to balance skyscrapers and high rise residential buildings (which are more and more common downtown lately) with a feeling of expansiveness, of open air. The Gold Coast, a strip of high rises that overlooks the lake is a good example of this, as well as Michigan avenue, where the towers are a bit recessed from the street, with wide sidewalks where you can catch the sun as you walk
- Pros:Great layout, shopping, culture,t ransportation
- Cons:Bitter cold in the winter
- In a nutshell:A city I'd live in in a heartbeat if I ever had to leave San Francisco
On a warm day, there's no better place to sit back, relax, grab a beer and a hamburger than John Barleycorn in Lincoln... more travel advice
mrtourne's Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
Top 10 Pages
- Buenos Aires Intro, 41 reviews, 7 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 6 photos
- Nassau Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chicago Intro, 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Bangalore 5 reviews
- New York City 4 reviews
- Maui 3 reviews, 1 photo
- Dallas 2 reviews
- Las Vegas 1 review
- Richmond 1 review