"Manilaiu island, 25.-26.09.2004" Manilaid by Hestia
Manilaid Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 61 photos
Manilaid, called Manija by locals, is situated in Tõstamaa commune, in Pärnu county. Its area is 1.9 km2, the nearest point from the mainland is 1 km. Its population is 44.
Manija was unpopulated until 1933. The islet was used as a hayfield by the farm-hands of Pootsi manor and sometimes Kihnu's fishermen came here to get shelter from the wind. In 1930-ies Kihnu was overpopulated and the Estonian Republic decided to consolidate 26 lots to aid large families. Many of the Kihnu's people moved to the neighbouring island and soon more than 150 inhabitants lived there. They fished eel and perch, scythed sweetly smelling coastal hay and raised vigorous cattle. Sometimes during the big storms water rose so high in Liivi Bay that Manija was devided into three parts. Big waters carried haystacks and potatoe rows away, however nature couldn't harm tough coastal people. Only at the soviet times Manija community was destroyd step by step. The school was closed, population decreased.
Manija women still wear their frilled skirts, as they still are of "kihnu race" because of their language and customs.
One of the greatest natural sights, natterjack that sings melodically in spring, is recorded into the International Red Book.
You can travel to Manija by taking a boat from Munalaiu harbour. In winter the seaway is passable on foot or by engines.
Hestia's Related Pages
Manilaid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manilaid - Manija - Holm Maunõ - Mannõ"
- "Manilaiu island, 25.-26.09.2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manilaid
- Hotels in Manilaid
- Transportation in Manilaid
- Restaurants in Manilaid
- Shopping in Manilaid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manilaid
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Manilaid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manilaid
Photos in ManilaidSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Tallinn County Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 80 photos
- Estonia Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos
- Hiiumaa Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Muhu Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inari Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos