"Suure-Jaani" Suure-Jaani by Hestia
Suure-Jaani Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
The town of Suure-Jaani is situated in the north-eastern part of the County of Viljandi. The decisive and tragic battle of ancient Estonians for freedom took place in the parish of Suure-Jaani on St. Matthew's Day, September 21, 1217. In the 17th century the name of the ancient village Valula was replaced by the name of Suure-Jaani in honour of St. Johannes, the guarding angel of the church. Impetuous building activities started in the last decade of the 19th century. On the 1st of May, 1938 Suure-Jaani received the rights of the town.
With its 1350 inhabitants and the church, graveyards and Gymnasium , Suure-Jaani is today a small town in the middle of Estonia and one of the centres of the neighbouring parishes. It has become a peaceful living place.
In the near future three of the local authorities are expected to merge in one and Suure-Jaani should restore its historical role as a parish centre.
In the neighbourhood of the town one can get acquainted with the traces of ancient fight for freedom, the national movement and cultural life.
Jahimaja (The Hunter's House)
71 503 Suure-Jaani
Phone: +372 43 72 148,
GSM: +372 51 82 870
Provides accommodation for 10 people, all rooms with a shower and toilet, on the 1st floor, a lounge with a TV on the same floor. Breakfast.
Conference facilities for 15 people.
Sauna for 10 people.
Hunting facilities for those interested in hunting.
Hestia's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Suure-Jaani
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Suure-Jaani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Suure-Jaani
Top 10 Pages
- Tallinn County Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 80 photos
- Estonia Intro, 34 reviews, 41 photos
- Rome Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos
- Hiiumaa Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Muhu Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Berlin Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Dublin Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inari Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos