"Seattle! Emerald City, indeed..." Seattle by gilescorey
Seattle Travel Guide: 3,161 reviews and 7,737 photos
I have a friend in the Broadway cast of "Shrek! The Musical", and decided to pop up to Seattle for the previews, rather than do the long journey to NYC from Los Angeles.
Hey, I'd never been to Seattle and this seemed like the ideal long weekend.
I spent two nights in two different hotels, and the rest of the time crashing in Queen Anne.
Without a doubt, Seattle is a city on the rise.
Downtown is rife with cranes, condo conversions, boutiques, returning young professionals, and fleeting images of the destitute being forced out of the central city. Where Seattle has an advantage over similarly sized cities is in it's compact geography. Downtown's rebirth provides an anchor to surrounding neighborhoods that feel remarkably integrated to the city as a whole - regardless of the 5 Freeway gap and the abominable Alaskan Way elevated roadway.
Expand mass transit, take down Alaskan Way(in the works) and cap the freeway with parkland(my suggestion), and few cities will be able to compete on livability and scenic superiority. From the waterfront to the hilly neighborhoods ringing the core, Seattle will be an urban model.
Unfortunately, I'm not the only person aware of Seattle's potential. I was shocked by how expensive Seattle is: the housing prices, rental and otherwise, are astronomical. The dining, and entertainment scenes don't yet justify such high demands, but I'd wager developers see the future of Seattle in the same way I do. Thus, housing is outrageous, already.
- Pros:Ocean, lakes, hills, and...oh, yeah, some coffee shops.
- Cons:public transit lacking, expensive stays, quiet nightlife
- In a nutshell:A hip city on the rise, with an impressive quality of life.
This is a great slice of coziness with good pub grub in my fave Seattle neighborhood, Ballard. It's easy to find, being... more travel advice
It was getting late on a weeknight, and my friend needed food. Noodles. Something. Few places were still open in, what... more travel advice
gilescorey's Related Pages
Seattle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
- ") @ L was great!"
- "Emerald City of the Northwest"
- "It's not always raining in Seattle"
- "Never Sip-less in Seattle"
- "A Great Place to Live"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seattle
- Hotels in Seattle
- Transportation in Seattle
- Nightlife in Seattle
- Restaurants in Seattle
- Shopping in Seattle
- Warnings and Dangers in Seattle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seattle
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Seattle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seattle
Photos in SeattleSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos