"The "Alps of America"" Franconia by gilescorey
Franconia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 109 photos
North of "the Notch", and overshadowed by Littleton, Franconia has escaped the gaudy strip motels and gift shops that line other White Mountain towns. Now, sitting at the base of Cannon Mountain, Franconia is seeing an influx of tourists and residents, as that once sleepy ski mountain expands and joins the ranks of New England's most impressive ski areas. Property has become expensive, even in the past two years. But, it is worth it. Franconia has stellar views of Cannon and the Lafayette Ridge, easy freeway access, and a treasure in Franconia Notch itself.
The Franconia region was nicknamed "The Alps of America", not because of its craggy peaks, but because of its first "ski-immigrants".
Legends of ski-racing and technique were forced out of Austria by the approaching German occupation of the late 30's, early 40's. One forefather of skiing, Hannes Schneider, visited New Hampshire during this period to consider relocating and founding a ski school in the Whites. Story has it that Mr. Schneider was less-than-impressed by the New England peaks, calling them "hills" and "babies" by comparison to his beloved Alps. However, a hike to the top of Mt. Moosilauke(4810') changed his mind, when, upon breaking treeline, the proud Austrian was brought to his knees under the brutal winds and snows - an anomaly of this region caused by a particularly powerful jet stream.
Schneider was impressed, and brought the first ski-school in the United States to New Hampshire. Racing trails were cut on Moosilauke, as well as on Cannon, and the first aerial tramway on the continent was built on Cannon shortly thereafter.
- Pros:Dramatic scenery, quaint town
- Cons:Skyrocketing property prices
- In a nutshell:Classic Mountain Town
Unlike other parts of the U.S., there are few warnings in the White Mountain National Forest about closed roads or... more travel advice
gilescorey's Related Pages
Franconia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Franconia Loses an Old Friend"
- "Life in the White Mountains"
- "The Flume Gorge"
- "The "Alps of America""
- "Franconia (or fun at slow shutter speeds)"
- "The White Mountains of New Hampshire"
- "rwaksberg's new Franconia Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Franconia
- Hotels in Franconia
- Transportation in Franconia
- Restaurants in Franconia
- Warnings and Dangers in Franconia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Franconia
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Franconia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Franconia
Photos in FranconiaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Franconia hotel reviews
- Gale River Motel and Cottages
- 178 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Lafayette Campground
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Best Western White Mountain Resort
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Sunset Hill House
- 284 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Stonybrook Motel & Lodge
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013