"Gloss Angeles" Los Angeles by gilescorey
Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,411 reviews and 8,884 photos
Los Angeles has always had an inferiority complex(to New York, and to San Francisco), and as such, Angelenos often compensate by mirroring their local media and expounding a dream vision of the city that is neither fair, nor accurate. That "spectacle" is much in evidence on VT, and though this is very much the city of "hype", hype alone will not make Los Angeles into the American Dream. Let LA be what it is. VERY imperfect. But, love your city. The future is bright for the City of Angels, but she needs truth and devotion to truly fly. So....let's begin....
Ah...Poor Los Angeles...she will forever have an indentity crisis. Nobody comes to LA for "LA". They come for themselves. At the turn of the twentieth century, magazines and speculators promised cheap land and beautiful weather. A two car garage and swimming pool for every waterlogged East Coaster. Later, immigrants seeking a better life, actors seeking fame....nobody came for "the city". That self-promotion, that lack of community still defines Los Angeles, today. Add an unrealistic, Hollywood-fueled image that no city could ever match, and you've got a recipe for disaster.
And, Los Angeles is a disaster. Paradise gone wrong. A modern distopia. Yes, everything negative ever said about LA is true. The pleasant surprise is all that is never said - all that a savvy traveler can discover, given some imagination and determination. Micro-climates, clashing cultures, bizarre architecture, incredible natural beauty and unparalled design.There is sadness, here. Metro LA ranks seventeenth of the seventeen largest US metro areas in its population of "working poor" - a depressing, & shocking statistic. But, this contrary image to "palm trees and movie stars" suggests there is another LA for visitors; a city made up of a wide swath of cultures and social stratems to season the 85 square miles that make up Los Angeles. Consider also the marvel of "natural LA", with abundant beaches and national recreation areas to soften the blight of urban sprawl.
Nevertheless, Los Angeles has become a city on the verge. She is one of the few American cities still gaining population. In the ten years I lived there, the city changed dramatically. Downtown has become prime real-estate; a bustling urban metropolis. Mass-transit has taken hold, with the Gold Line completion and the current construction, Union Station now buzzes with harried travelers, fulfilling it's gatsby-era promise. Hollywood is caught somewhere between high-rent and counter-culture, with bikers and round-bellied tourists side-stepping eachother along the Walk of Fame.
This is an exciting time to visit the City of Angels. It truly is. Just don't move here, okay?
- Pros:Stunning geography and progressive architecture
- Cons:dispersed, incohesive, poverty(by U.S. Standards), and shallow
- In a nutshell:The "American Dream" gone wrong. But, there is hope....?
Larchmont Village is an interesting little Los Angeles neighborhood that lies hidden between the leafy, mansion lined... more travel advice
Wurstkuche opened shop a few years ago in the, until recently, rather desolate "Arts District". It's a curious space and... more travel advice
- See All Soap Plant...Wacko!
- See All Best Be Skinny!
- See All Red Line Subway/Metro
- See All Pink's Hot Dogs
gilescorey's Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 76 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 485 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: What to do for 3 days "
- Wrote a Review A Tiny Village in the midst of LA in Los Angeles Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Tiny Village in the midst of LA"
- updated a Los Angeles Travel Page "Gloss Angeles"
- Commented on one of bennforlife's Los Angeles travel pages
Photos in Los AngelesSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos