"Barcelona: Europe Old and New." Barcelona by gilescorey
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,685 reviews and 22,163 photos
So, I finally up and did it. I left Los Angeles.
As a citizen of Ireland, I have the option of living throughout Europe. Missing my family, and working in the wine industry, Spain seemed a natural fit. Got myself a good understanding of Spanish and an affection for a Mediterranean climate. So, Barcelona it is.
And Barcelona it has become for many. The city is now one of the most visited in Europe and the strain of tourism is visible in much of the Old City. Civic leaders are trying to "spread the wealth", so to speak, to maintain quality of life and the flow of Euros at the same time. I have confidence they will succeed.
But, I too love this city. I do. New and Old at the same time. Vespas and Gaudí. Gothic weight and the effervescence of modern Europe.
I don't know about you, but I have an affection for cities that view their history as an afterthought. It suggests full confidence in their legacy - their place in the world. Barcelona is one of those cities. it contains all the energy and freneticism of a modern city on the edge of progress, and the gravitas of old Europe.
Some, here, describe Barcelona as a "small city".
Really? With it´s dense character, wild nightlife, and boisterous street culture, it sure seems a Hell of a lot bigger than LA.
Can walk right outside and hail a cab...Hella.
- Pros:Energetic, Cosmopolitan, Beautiful
- Cons:Tourist Overrun, pickpockets and..skateboarding capital of the world.
- In a nutshell:I'm coming home, Barcelona!
When I first moved to Barcelona, my Scottish friends frequented pubs and dragged me along for good measure. I thought it... more travel advice
The Born, also known as "El Borne" or "El Born" is a small, dense district wedged between Parc de la Ciutadella and Via... more travel advice
gilescorey's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 16 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 69 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: What to do for 3 days "
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Barcelona: Europe Old and New."
- Wrote a Review Traditional Irish Pub about Flaherty's Irish Pub in Barcelona Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traditional Irish Pub"
- Commented on one of Belsaita's Barcelona travel pages
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos