"Lactose Intolerant World Traveler" gilescorey's Profile

No Longer on Watch List, still lactose intolerant

Please note: In reality, all my tips, pages, recommendations can pretty much be considered "Off The Beaten Path". You'll either like my pages or hatehatehate them. But, I figure you can just go buy any typical guide in Barnes & Nobles - so why would I write the same? One upside of my pages is that I don't really put pics of myself, family or back garden on VT. The internet still frightens me.

My personal story, minus personal details.

This is the web, after all and we must be careful. God forbid members of my high school Spanish Club track me down and wanna go for coffee...

So, I was born in Metro Boston.

The Homeland

At the tender age of four, I was walking, reading, writing, skiing, factoring algorithms, and according to my drunk alcoholic uncle, good at mixing Negronis. Mum and Dad moved me, my genius, and my jealous siblings to the quaint state of New Hampshire, where I lived until I attained voting age.

The Escape!

As I grew into a wise young man, I decided I'd had my fill of chopping firewood and shoveling snow. So, I headed south to Boston, where I was partially schooled and foraged a living with my dubious knowledge of cash registers and rolling inventory.

My trip to the Jungle...

New York scared the bejesus out of me. It was dirty, frightening, depraved, dangerous and followed no rule of law. I was entranced, naturally, and moved to The Big Apple in 1994.

These were the best days of my life. After three years in Manhattan, I moved to the better borough of Brooklyn whereupon I made the mistake of sleeping with my next door neighbor.

More Poor judgement.

I moved into an apartment above a liqour store and I adopted a cat.

Go West, Young Man!

Unfortunately, I downed too much gin in the East Village and decided to quit my mob job and move to Los Angeles. Like The Cat, this proved itself to be an unwise decision.

Not All is Lost!

Life in Los Angeles was difficult, bizarre and hugely frustrating. I won't lie. Where are the bakeries, yo?! The bagels?!! The jobs? Ah, yes...the "jobs"...

However, it was sunshine everyday and I eventually snagged a great job working in the wine industry. The cat survived cancer, I survived two gnarly car crashes, the apartment was rent controlled, and I had a running prescription for vicodin. I know, I know....practically Paradise. But, I still decided to leave the City of Angels.

In May of 2009, I sold off most of my personal belongings, put on a three piece suit and caught a flight to Barcelona, Spain. Two suitcases, one cat. I'm four years in, at this point and no looking back! If VT allowed me to add another Chapter to this page format, I would tell you more...but for now you'll just have to visit my BCN page to follow along.....

• Intro Updated May 26, 2013

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
gilescorey's Profile Photo

gilescorey

“I was on my way to San Diego, but my house got a flat”

Location