"Lactose Intolerant World Traveler" gilescorey's Profile
Please note: In reality, all my tips, pages, recommendations can pretty much be considered "Off The Beaten Path". You'll either like my pages or hatehatehate them. But, I figure you can just go buy any typical guide in Barnes & Nobles - so why would I write the same? One upside of my pages is that I don't really put pics of myself, family or back garden on VT. The internet still frightens me.
This is the web, after all and we must be careful. God forbid members of my high school Spanish Club track me down and wanna go for coffee...
So, I was born in Metro Boston.
At the tender age of four, I was walking, reading, writing, skiing, factoring algorithms, and according to my drunk alcoholic uncle, good at mixing Negronis. Mum and Dad moved me, my genius, and my jealous siblings to the quaint state of New Hampshire, where I lived until I attained voting age.
As I grew into a wise young man, I decided I'd had my fill of chopping firewood and shoveling snow. So, I headed south to Boston, where I was partially schooled and foraged a living with my dubious knowledge of cash registers and rolling inventory.
New York scared the bejesus out of me. It was dirty, frightening, depraved, dangerous and followed no rule of law. I was entranced, naturally, and moved to The Big Apple in 1994.
These were the best days of my life. After three years in Manhattan, I moved to the better borough of Brooklyn whereupon I made the mistake of sleeping with my next door neighbor.
I moved into an apartment above a liqour store and I adopted a cat.
Unfortunately, I downed too much gin in the East Village and decided to quit my mob job and move to Los Angeles. Like The Cat, this proved itself to be an unwise decision.
Life in Los Angeles was difficult, bizarre and hugely frustrating. I won't lie. Where are the bakeries, yo?! The bagels?!! The jobs? Ah, yes...the "jobs"...
However, it was sunshine everyday and I eventually snagged a great job working in the wine industry. The cat survived cancer, I survived two gnarly car crashes, the apartment was rent controlled, and I had a running prescription for vicodin. I know, I know....practically Paradise. But, I still decided to leave the City of Angels.
In May of 2009, I sold off most of my personal belongings, put on a three piece suit and caught a flight to Barcelona, Spain. Two suitcases, one cat. I'm four years in, at this point and no looking back! If VT allowed me to add another Chapter to this page format, I would tell you more...but for now you'll just have to visit my BCN page to follow along.....
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 223 Reviews
- 427 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
- Posted in Travel Los Angeles Forum "Re: What to do for 3 days "
updated their Personal Page "My Top Ten Favorite Cities"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My Top Ten Favorite Cities"
- Commented on one of shivan's Venice travel pages
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Barcelona: Europe Old and New."
- gilescorey and biljah are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Traditional Irish Pub in Barcelona Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Venice
Top 10 Pages
- Los Angeles Intro, 76 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manchester Intro, 20 reviews, 20 photos
- New York City Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Seattle Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Hampshire Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Boston Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos
- Cape May Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos