"Mt Rushmore" Mount Rushmore National Memorial by Tygerbeetle
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 335 photos
Our road trip took us to Mt Rushmore - we figured we should see it since we were there, although the Crazy Horse memorial was *really* what we wanted to see. the KOA by Mt Rushmore is enormous. it's like camping in Queens! many amenities - some quite funny, like the on-site subway and ice cream shop. the air is rich with the smell of horse, as horseback rides are available from the KOA site.
Mt Rushmore itself is - in all honesty - a bit creepy looking -- 4 disembodied heads squashed together on the mountain. Very surreal. Have lunch in the nearby spot where you take a ski lift to the top, you get a fine view. we did not think paying for a closer view was worth it, and drove past.
Crazy Horse Memorial was astounding. The sculpture is artistically superior, integrated into the mountain. it's stunning and HUGE - a true colossus. There's an impressive museum and cultural center at the site. Don't miss the movie about Crazy Horse and the creation of the sculpture! It's heartbreaking, uplifting and fascinating. The center is full of artwork and interesting historical documents and artifacts. The center is designed well, with artwork and artifacts exhibited in a fine installation. Food is available, and you can buy rocks blasted from the mountain. The center is a tribute to the resilience and grace of the Native American people and their culture. It's a must-see. If I traveled to Mt Rushmore expressly to see it, I'd be disappointed. If I traveled to S.D. just to see the Crazy Horse memorial, I would find it well worth the journey. Excellent for kids. Invaluable in presenting a side of American history that is not often told and may not be well known.
- Pros:Stunningly beautiful
- Cons:cannot pull it up on VT's list of sights!!
- In a nutshell:Moving and breathtaking - don't miss it.
Tygerbeetle's Related Pages
Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Truly a spectacular Memorial"
- "Faces in the rock"
- "Mount Rushmore National Monument"
- "Unfinished Icon of the Founding Fathers"
- "A League of Their Own"
- "Look up the President's Nostrils"
- "They Paved Paradise & Put up a Parking Lot"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Hotels in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Transportation in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Restaurants in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Shopping in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Top 5 Pages
- Philadelphia Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Mackinaw City Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Badlands National Park Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Reykjavík Region 2 reviews
No friends yet.