"Swanage seaside town" Top 5 Page for this destination Swanage by LouiseTopp
Swanage Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 136 photos
Swanage is a lovely part of Dorset with great views across the bay towards Poole and Bournemouth. Every August 27th July to 3rd August is the carnival which is a must see with many events from the procession, barn dancing and yard of ale contests and much more.
It has been said that dinosaur foorprints and other prehistoric mammel remains have been discovered in the rock's. Swanage is great for fossile hunters, althrough I don't know what would of happened if some of them had still been alive roaming the Purbecks; David Attenborough would have a field day,
There's a lot more to do in swanage then meets the eye. services in Swanage are good, there's the usuel Banks like Lloyds & Natwest. There's also a post office and chemists. Along the seafront is a playpark, and the TIC. market days is Tuedays.
Retail in Swanage is good, depending on business shops will stay open during the summer until 10am. It's worth exploring, and there are surprises to be found.
There are many places which sell windchimes, dreamcatchers & crystals. There's also a number of charity shops & a somerfield. There's also a bike hire place in the High Street over the road from the town hall.
Please visit http://www.swanage.gov.uk/ for more information about Swanage
The pier is Victorian built in 1896, has great views across towards Pool and Bournemouth and the Needles on the Isle of Wight. To get on the pier there’s a charge of 30p. You can take a boat to Poole, Bournemouth, the Isle of Wight or Brownsea Island, as well as cruises to Old Harry's Rocks & Durlston. You need to check the times, which are usually displayed on a blackboard.
http://www.swanagepiertrust.com/ for more information about the pier.
Swanage also has a steam railway which I have decribed in my other reports.
- Pros:Lovely to relax in, friendly people, scenary
- Cons:Chilly in the winter, hilly
- In a nutshell:seasidy home
Just off Poole Harbour is Brownsea Island, founder of the scout movement & where anyone who works for the John Lewis... more travel advice
Nestled in the isles of the Purbecks is the village of Corfe just up the road from the railway station. Most of the... more travel advice
LouiseTopp's Related Pages
Swanage Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swanage- Dorset, England"
- "Swanage seaside town"
- "Swanage - a nice seaside town"
- "The English Seaside at its best"
- "Peace and quiet - or a real "rocking" place?"
- "Swanage- Dorset"
- "Swanage a peaceful haven outside tourist season"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swanage
- Hotels in Swanage
- Transportation in Swanage
- Restaurants in Swanage
- Shopping in Swanage
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swanage
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Swanage?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swanage
Photos in SwanageSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salisbury Intro, 47 reviews, 63 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos
- Newquay Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wiltshire Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bournemouth Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Devon Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Portsmouth Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Glastonbury Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos