"Dorset - some things you might like to know" Top 5 Page for this destination Dorset by LouiseTopp
Dorset Travel Guide: 861 reviews and 2,298 photos
English Heritage have tried very hard to save this part of England. With it's chalky cliffs & pretty villages, its the ideal place to stay for a holiday. I have listed a number of places that I've been to, any more information will be updated here.
Swanage is a holiday town with views over Swanage Bay, great scenery from Durlston Head south of the town, & a good beach at Studland to the north, though you have to pay money to get on it in the summer as it’s the National Trust land. The town is on the Isle Of Purbeck, isn’t an island just where the land juts out into the English Channel, with Corfe Castle close by. Swanage often called “Gem of the Dorset coast”, is a popular seaside resort with many things to do. Every year they have a fireworks show off the pier which is really good, there are also lots of bands playing, & The new Forest Harley Davison Motor Group always arrive to park along the seafront. There are two arcades along the seafront & a restaurant with in & outdoor seating, up the road is the shopping areas. Website: http://www.swanage.gov.uk/
Owned by the National trust, I think it was destroyed by Cromwell in 1646. Set upon a hill it’s a very imposing sight; it also has a lady ghost. The village of Corfe is very interesting with plenty of shops, there’s also a tea shop at the bottom of the castle which is very nice in the summer; cows roam on the other side of a fence in herds & they have a cat (the café staff, not the cows). Here you can catch a steam train at the station which takes you between Swanage & the castle, which is very pleasant.
Please see my Swanage page for more information on this wonderful place. Thank you.
- Pros:Lovely in the summer
- Cons:Horrid in the rain, deckchair attendents
- In a nutshell:Beautiful place of England
The Dorset Belle is the ideal way to see the Jurassic coast on a cruise; it’s also a fantastic way of sailing to... more travel advice
Harbour Lights in on the 1st floor next to the I-Max cinema. You can take a lift, but I prefure the stairs as it's so... more travel advice
LouiseTopp's Related Pages
Dorset Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DORSET,U.K .WHERE I LIVE!"
- "The Dorset Coast"
- "Dorset - some things you might like to know"
- "Shaftesbury visit"
- "Not exactly shining armor."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dorset
- Hotels in Dorset
- Transportation in Dorset
- Nightlife in Dorset
- Restaurants in Dorset
- Shopping in Dorset
- Warnings and Dangers in Dorset
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dorset
- 29 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Dorset?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorset
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salisbury Intro, 47 reviews, 63 photos
- Blackpool Intro, 14 reviews, 72 photos
- Newquay Intro, 17 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wiltshire Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bournemouth Intro, 14 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hampshire Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Devon Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Portsmouth Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Glastonbury Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos