Halifax Favorite Tips by PA2AKgirl Top 5 Page for this destination
Halifax Favorites: 79 reviews and 98 photos
The top of the arch
Favorite thing: If you enter St. Paul's cemetery from Barrington Street, you'll see a huge stone arch with a lion on top. It's beautiful really and I noticed some inscriptions at the top as well as interpretive signs near it. This is not just any old stone arch with a lion resting on it...it's a Crimean War memorial constructed and named for the memory of Major Welsford and Capt. Parker--both of Halifax who died in the war. It's rare because it's pre confederation...built by a man named Laing. The interpretive signs are also rare because they are one of the few things I saw in both English and French for the public.
Bobby's pic of Spring Garden from the hotel
Favorite thing: When we first came into the city, the information we received was that Spring Garden Road was the center of nightlife, shopping and dining. No doubt is that accurate...there are so many places to eat and go out here, you'd never have to leave this area. There's pubs, nightclubs, a huge variety of restaurants, specialty botiques, gift shops, cafes...everything. We walked up and down the whole street...there is SO much to do here.
Favorite thing: The statue of Sir Winston Churchill is located outside of the Spring Garden Public Library. Statues, memorials and other dedications to him are common in Canada but this statue is worth seeing. Good thing, because it's pretty hard to miss. We walked by it two times and stopped both times. People who live here just pretty much ignore it and I was looking up information about it where one man said "I wonder if they realize how much they owe to this man when they walk by his statue everyday" Sir Winston Churchill was an incredible leader and man--many places around the world can connect something they know or have in their home country with him.
It's located at the Spring Hill Public Library
Like many larger cities, there are great contrasts found throughout Halifax. One of them being the homeless living so close to the extremely wealthy...sometimes literally on their doorstep. This isn't a warning or anything because it can't be avoided or realistically helped by one or two individuals, but the homeless are everywhere in Halifax. At least that was our experience. In some cities, they are withdrawn...in others, (San Francisco comes to mind) they are creative with signs and methods. However, in Halifax, they are persistant. They will come after you asking for money, they will ask you mulitple times, too. At least this was our experience...
It's just something you have to think about when you are looking up at these lavish and certainly expensive waterfront townhouses...then you turn the corner to see man huddled up with a jacket using a soaked box for a mattress. By no means am I making this out to be just a Halifax issue...sadly, it's all too common. However, it's something that was very much a part of this city on our visit.
What a great life...
Favorite thing: On a sunny day like the Saturday we had in Halifax, people were out enjoying their city in any way possible. From walking in the gardens to exercising to laying on the grass to sitting on their balconies, it seemed like these people knew how to enjoy life. It was truly a perfect day to get out and walk around--which is exactly what we did--and it made me a little jealous of those who live here. Even in terrible weather, Halifax would be a terrific city.
Fondest memory: Usually my general tips don't correlate with my fondest memories, but for once, this one does. Seeing Halifax; walking around in such a great city on a fabulous day with Bobby was one of my best memories from the trip. It was a city in a province neither of us had visited before and we both fell in love with Halifax. (Granted, there was an unfortunate incident at a Tim Hortons not too long before this picture was taken, but it's now funny...making this memory even better)
I'm just happy that we got to experience this city together--I'd have it no other way. And I can't wait until we're able to visit again:-D
More Reviews (19)
- See All So far north, yet only halfway
- Yes, they do have "everything" bagels
- See All All about the outside seating
- See All Brewery Market
- how about some cuban cigars?
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WE ALTERNATE"
- "Where Tvor Lives"
- "Halifax MY Home Town"
- "Fantastic Halifax"
- "Halifax - North America's Major Port City"
- "Canada's Ocean Playground"
- "Sleeping with Juan: Halifax"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rosario Beach Hotels
- Cane Garden Bay Hotels
- Black Mountain Hotels
- Gaiole in Chianti
- Roccatederighi Hotels
- Gouvernorat de Bizerte
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 24 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Halifax hotel reviews
- Country Inn & Suites Dartmouth
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Waverley Inn
- 288 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Cambridge Suites Hotel
- 600 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Delta Barrington
- 263 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- The Prince George Hotel
- 517 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Dalhousie University Dorm Rooms
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 23, 2013
- Quality Inn Halifax Airport
- 205 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton Halifax
- 329 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Heritage House Hostel
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Fountain View Guest House
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2013
- Lord Nelson Hotel
- 404 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Radisson Suite Hotel Halifax
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- White Point Beach
- 214 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Another Era Bed and Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Halifax Backpackers Hostel
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Halifax Citadel National Historic Site- 32 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Downtown Halifax- 16 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Peggy's Cove- 18 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Halifax Harbour- 21 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Waterfront / Historic Properties- 23 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Historic Landmarks- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Alexander Keith's Brewery- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Pier 21- 10 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic- 11 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Public Gardens- 17 Reviews, 25 Photos
See All Halifax Things to Do