Halifax Favorite Tips by PA2AKgirl Top 5 Page for this destination
Halifax Favorites: 79 reviews and 98 photos
The top of the arch
Favorite thing: If you enter St. Paul's cemetery from Barrington Street, you'll see a huge stone arch with a lion on top. It's beautiful really and I noticed some inscriptions at the top as well as interpretive signs near it. This is not just any old stone arch with a lion resting on it...it's a Crimean War memorial constructed and named for the memory of Major Welsford and Capt. Parker--both of Halifax who died in the war. It's rare because it's pre confederation...built by a man named Laing. The interpretive signs are also rare because they are one of the few things I saw in both English and French for the public.
Bobby's pic of Spring Garden from the hotel
Favorite thing: When we first came into the city, the information we received was that Spring Garden Road was the center of nightlife, shopping and dining. No doubt is that accurate...there are so many places to eat and go out here, you'd never have to leave this area. There's pubs, nightclubs, a huge variety of restaurants, specialty botiques, gift shops, cafes...everything. We walked up and down the whole street...there is SO much to do here.
Favorite thing: The statue of Sir Winston Churchill is located outside of the Spring Garden Public Library. Statues, memorials and other dedications to him are common in Canada but this statue is worth seeing. Good thing, because it's pretty hard to miss. We walked by it two times and stopped both times. People who live here just pretty much ignore it and I was looking up information about it where one man said "I wonder if they realize how much they owe to this man when they walk by his statue everyday" Sir Winston Churchill was an incredible leader and man--many places around the world can connect something they know or have in their home country with him.
It's located at the Spring Hill Public Library
Like many larger cities, there are great contrasts found throughout Halifax. One of them being the homeless living so close to the extremely wealthy...sometimes literally on their doorstep. This isn't a warning or anything because it can't be avoided or realistically helped by one or two individuals, but the homeless are everywhere in Halifax. At least that was our experience. In some cities, they are withdrawn...in others, (San Francisco comes to mind) they are creative with signs and methods. However, in Halifax, they are persistant. They will come after you asking for money, they will ask you mulitple times, too. At least this was our experience...
It's just something you have to think about when you are looking up at these lavish and certainly expensive waterfront townhouses...then you turn the corner to see man huddled up with a jacket using a soaked box for a mattress. By no means am I making this out to be just a Halifax issue...sadly, it's all too common. However, it's something that was very much a part of this city on our visit.
What a great life...
Favorite thing: On a sunny day like the Saturday we had in Halifax, people were out enjoying their city in any way possible. From walking in the gardens to exercising to laying on the grass to sitting on their balconies, it seemed like these people knew how to enjoy life. It was truly a perfect day to get out and walk around--which is exactly what we did--and it made me a little jealous of those who live here. Even in terrible weather, Halifax would be a terrific city.
Fondest memory: Usually my general tips don't correlate with my fondest memories, but for once, this one does. Seeing Halifax; walking around in such a great city on a fabulous day with Bobby was one of my best memories from the trip. It was a city in a province neither of us had visited before and we both fell in love with Halifax. (Granted, there was an unfortunate incident at a Tim Hortons not too long before this picture was taken, but it's now funny...making this memory even better)
I'm just happy that we got to experience this city together--I'd have it no other way. And I can't wait until we're able to visit again:-D
More Reviews (19)
- See All So far north, yet only halfway
- Yes, they do have "everything" bagels
- See All All about the outside seating
- See All Brewery Market
- how about some cuban cigars?
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Halifax Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WE ALTERNATE"
- "Where Tvor Lives"
- "Halifax MY Home Town"
- "Fantastic Halifax"
- "Halifax - North America's Major Port City"
- "Canada's Ocean Playground"
- "Sleeping with Juan: Halifax"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halifax
- Hotels in Halifax
- Transportation in Halifax
- Nightlife in Halifax
- Restaurants in Halifax
- Shopping in Halifax
- Warnings and Dangers in Halifax
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Miguel de Allende Hotels
- Harvey Hotels
- Yucaipa Hotels
- Paradise Valley
- Coromandel Hotels
Badges & Stats in Halifax
- 24 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Halifax?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halifax
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Halifax hotel reviews
- Westin Nova Scotian
- 718 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Marriott Halifax Harbourfront
- 361 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Halliburton House Inn
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Oak Island Resort & Spa
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- White Point Beach
- 145 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Delta Barrington
- 217 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Four Points By Sheraton Halifax
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Howard Johnson Bluenose Inn and Suites Halifax
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport Hotel
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Commons Inn
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 30, 2013
- Atlantica Hotel Halifax
- 274 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Cambridge Suites Hotel
- 526 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Fresh Start Bed and Breakfast
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Garden View Bed & Breakfast
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Halifax Citadel National Historic Site- 32 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Peggy's Cove- 18 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Halifax Harbour- 21 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Downtown Halifax- 16 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Waterfront / Historic Properties- 23 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Alexander Keith's Brewery- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Pier 21- 10 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Historic Landmarks- 15 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Cape Breton- 9 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Titanic Cemeteries- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Halifax Things to Do