"Great Hiking and Scenery" Ricketts Glen State Park by PA2AKgirl
Ricketts Glen State Park Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 122 photos
Ricketts Glen is located in what is known as the "Endless Mountain Region" of Pennsylvania. (Northcentral to Northeastern PA.)
I think it's the most beautiful part of the state and I love going up to Ricketts Glen for some hiking.
The park is close to other state parks as well (ie: Worlds End...which is fantastic) so if you're planning on visiting Pennsylvania, take a couple days and head up there...
This park was approved to be a national park but that ended during WWII. It's named after Colonel Ricketts who was involved in the Civil War, namely at the Battle of Gettysburg. He owned a good portion of the land and it was eventually sold to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It's now preserved not only as a state park but also a national natural area in the glen area of the park.
Kitchen creek is made up of 2 branches that carved the gorges of of Ganoga Glen and Glen Leigh. At a place appropriately called “Waters Meet” these 2 branches come together and then flow through Ricketts Glen. There are wonderful rock formations and a few types of waterfalls, including "bridal veil" (flows straight down as in the 1st picture) and "wedding cake" (in tiers...like my last picture)
- Pros:Amazing waterfalls, convenient, great recreational site
- Cons:can be a bit dangerous on the Falls Trail
Though it is the tallest waterfall at Ricketts Glen, I think the best place to try to get in the water is under the... more travel advice
If you're not into staying right in the park, in a cabin, then these cottages are a good alternative. They aren't... more travel advice
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Ricketts Glen State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great Hiking and Scenery"
- "Beautiful hike with TONS of waterfalls"
- "I Eat moss!"
- "Ricketts Glen State Park"
- "Waterfalls Galore!"
- "Rickett's Glen State Park- Under Construction"
- "Winter Romantic Get-Away"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Hotels in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Nightlife in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Restaurants in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Shopping in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Ricketts Glen State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ricketts Glen State Park
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Ricketts Glen State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ricketts Glen State Park
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
- updated a Ricketts Glen State Park Travel Page "Great Hiking and Scenery"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great Hiking and Scenery"
- Wrote a Review Cooling Off in Ricketts Glen State Park Favorites
- Commented on one of chodearm's Ricketts Glen State Park travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues