"The Birthplace of Greatness" Lewisburg by PA2AKgirl

Lewisburg Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 55 photos

(By that, I mean the birthplace of ME!!! haha!)

Okay, let's get a couple things straight right away...
1--I am not Amish

2--I DO NOT CONSIDER LEWISBURG, PA TO BE ONE OF THE GREAT HIDDEN DESTINATIONS OF THE WORLD

But, I do consider it to be a great stopover for some other destinations. Or to be part of a package, say, if you were going to do all of Central Pennsylvania in a week or something. That would be a great idea, by the way, especially if you are into hiking and other outdoor activities.

Now, there is a lot to do and if you decided to visit. For example, the architecture is beautiful--very victorian. The town is strict when it comes to building or rennovating within the borough. The houses and shops have maintained their appeal throughout the years. My favorite part of the town are the churches...they definitely monopolize the "skyline".

Lewisburg is consistently listed as "one of the top small towns in America" I think it's usually #10 out of 100 or something. I think that's because there's not too much in the way of actual industrial employment here. The main employers we do have are a hospital, Bucknell University and the federal penitentary (and that is well removed from the town). So, getting a job here pretty much means security--they aren't going to fall on hard times.
The town is very safe too--you can walk on the street any hour of the night and not feel threatened. Also, because Lewisburg caters mainly to Bucknell kids and their families, there are a lot of artsy shops, nice botiques, cozy cafes and restaurants.

So, if you are up in Williamsport (about 25 minutes north) for the Little League World Series, heading to Penn State (about 1 hour west) for a football game or driving from NYC to Pittsburgh on I-80, Lewisburg is a convenient place to drop by.

• Pros:Beautiful, safe, can find entertainment, close enough to major cities
  • Cons:not too ethnically diverse, can get claustrophobic if grow up there, not much for people who lived there all their lives
  • In a nutshell:Stop by if you're in the area
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2004

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 8:54 AM

That cow is now closed for business. We are moving here in a month. First time to live in the city.

• Apr 28, 2005 at 11:53 AM

Don't forget the dairy that makes its own ice cream (and sells cones!) on the main drag. (Look for the cow on the roof!) :-)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 6:49 PM

Well to be honest I was just watching your back. As for what goes on there you will just have to take a look for yourself but be careful its not for the squemish or faint of heart... :o)

• Dec 10, 2004 at 9:39 AM

It was very interesting to read you views about Lewisburg (especially since I live in the neighboring town - Milton). Most of your views are "right on"!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 9:21 AM

Your page is toooooo goood! Hahaha, half way your restaurant tips I just had to go and plunder my fridge, LOL, you made me so hungry! :-)) I love your fun and cheerful way of writing! :-)) Thanks for the smiles :-))

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 10:03 AM

Impressive new picture.LOL!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2004 at 11:32 AM

Wonderful page, I like your Black n' white intro photo :-) and it is indeed yummy I'd say that even from the view ;-D great Katey

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 6:10 AM

Farmers Markets and covered bridges sound like real Americana!! I remember reading about the coal fire over 20 years ago.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 12:27 PM

Hi Katey, Love your pages. I am astonished about the "It's on fire!! " tip. Wow, that is a real trip. Your photographs are wonderful and your tips a really helpful and informative. Thanks for sharing Katey!!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 12:44 PM

Small towns are the same everywhere, and don't sell yours short. Looks like there's lots to do and see. Nice page.

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Lewisburg

Have you been to Lewisburg?

Latest Activity in Lewisburg