"The Birthplace of Greatness" Lewisburg by PA2AKgirl
Lewisburg Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 55 photos
Okay, let's get a couple things straight right away...
1--I am not Amish
2--I DO NOT CONSIDER LEWISBURG, PA TO BE ONE OF THE GREAT HIDDEN DESTINATIONS OF THE WORLD
But, I do consider it to be a great stopover for some other destinations. Or to be part of a package, say, if you were going to do all of Central Pennsylvania in a week or something. That would be a great idea, by the way, especially if you are into hiking and other outdoor activities.
Now, there is a lot to do and if you decided to visit. For example, the architecture is beautiful--very victorian. The town is strict when it comes to building or rennovating within the borough. The houses and shops have maintained their appeal throughout the years. My favorite part of the town are the churches...they definitely monopolize the "skyline".
Lewisburg is consistently listed as "one of the top small towns in America" I think it's usually #10 out of 100 or something. I think that's because there's not too much in the way of actual industrial employment here. The main employers we do have are a hospital, Bucknell University and the federal penitentary (and that is well removed from the town). So, getting a job here pretty much means security--they aren't going to fall on hard times.
The town is very safe too--you can walk on the street any hour of the night and not feel threatened. Also, because Lewisburg caters mainly to Bucknell kids and their families, there are a lot of artsy shops, nice botiques, cozy cafes and restaurants.
So, if you are up in Williamsport (about 25 minutes north) for the Little League World Series, heading to Penn State (about 1 hour west) for a football game or driving from NYC to Pittsburgh on I-80, Lewisburg is a convenient place to drop by.
- Pros:Beautiful, safe, can find entertainment, close enough to major cities
- Cons:not too ethnically diverse, can get claustrophobic if grow up there, not much for people who lived there all their lives
- In a nutshell:Stop by if you're in the area
On my intro, I mentioned that Lewisburg isn't one of the great destinations of the world. Apparently it's significant in... more travel advice
When we had the VT meeting in Intercourse, it occurred to me that such things like bacon dressing and "chow" are... more travel advice
- See All The best Bloody Marys!
- See All A Pet Cafe in Selinsgrove
- See All Shikellamy State Park
- Few things annoy me more...
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Lewisburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Birthplace of Greatness"
- "May the three globe lights guide you home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lewisburg
- Hotels in Lewisburg
- Nightlife in Lewisburg
- Restaurants in Lewisburg
- Shopping in Lewisburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Lewisburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lewisburg
- 34 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Lewisburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lewisburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues