"My Family's Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by PA2AKgirl
Gettysburg Travel Guide: 409 reviews and 913 photos
This page is going be under continuous construction as I make frequent trips to this area and realized that all of our pictures and many of my memories or recolllections are from many years ago. I am trying to recify that and come up with a decent travel page.
A lot has changed in this town since I was a child and to hear my father and his brothers tell it, certainly since they were little and growing up here. Much more caters to tourists and there is constant rennovation on the battlefield to get it back to the way it looked in the 1860s, during the time of the civil war. Here I find myself conflicted. Having worked for the United States Park Service, I understand the mission: the importance of preseving sites for future generations to enjoy and learn about culture and history. But the battlefield looks stripped now...the trees made it aethestically pleasing, but I suppose that's not the point of The Battle at Gettysburg, now is it?
Still, the difference brought to my attention the need to build a page on Gettysburg...for the history of the US as well as the history of my family.
Battlefield Royalty...that's what VT member Vivalasteph called it and it keeps making me laugh, so I have to use it on here...I know she's gonna check this page out, so I hope she's not upset I "borrowed" her coined phrase!
It's not that at all, but my if my family has history in the US, here is where is it. My grandparents came here from Northern Ireland, spent some time briefly in the Philly area and then made their way to Gettysburg. My grandfather is buried in the National Cemetery and my other grandparents are in the Evergreen, which borders the National. Moving on...my grandfather on my mother's side was well known in this town. For those of you who have visited, he built the 1st electric map...one of the highlights and most informative sites in Gettysburg (will be under a "Must See Activity tip") He was also an artist--designed the county seal and many hand drawn maps of the area...as well as a sign painter. My grandmother worked in the Civil War museum until she was 80.
My parents met here when they were in elementary school, married here, had some of their children here. I still have a lot of family in this town too--it's just somewhat strange to think that my every generation of my family, since coming to the US, has lived here at some point.
I finally found a picture of Devil's Den:) Historically, this is the stronghold of the confederates after they... more travel advice
Located on the battlefield, down a small trail from the Confederate state monuments, the ampitheatre was one of my... more travel advice
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Gettysburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GETTYSBURG-The Address, The Heroism And The Fallen"
- "My Family's Home"
- "Historical but Commercialized"
- "~Gettysburg-The Town~"
- "Gettysburg, history to discover"
- "Like my second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gettysburg
- Hotels in Gettysburg
- Transportation in Gettysburg
- Nightlife in Gettysburg
- Restaurants in Gettysburg
- Shopping in Gettysburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Gettysburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gettysburg
- 28 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Gettysburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gettysburg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Gettysburg hotel reviews
- Budget Host Three Crowns Motor Lodge Gettysburg
- 226 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Eisenhower Inn & Conference Center
- 296 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Country Inn & Suites Gettysburg
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Brickhouse Inn Bed & Breakfast
- 892 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- 1863 Inn of Gettysburg
- 405 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Quality Inn at General Lee's Headquarters Gettysburg
- 401 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Inn at Herr Ridge
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Colton Motel Gettysburg
- 214 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Gettysburg Hotel
- 154 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Gettystown Inn Bed & Breakfast
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Quality Inn Gettysburg Motor Lodge
- 362 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Quite The Stir
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 7, 2013
- Wyndham Gettysburg
- 661 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Americas Best Value Inn Gettysburg
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- The Gaslight Inn
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013