"My Family's Home" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg by PA2AKgirl

Gettysburg Travel Guide: 410 reviews and 913 photos

This page is going be under continuous construction as I make frequent trips to this area and realized that all of our pictures and many of my memories or recolllections are from many years ago. I am trying to recify that and come up with a decent travel page.

A lot has changed in this town since I was a child and to hear my father and his brothers tell it, certainly since they were little and growing up here. Much more caters to tourists and there is constant rennovation on the battlefield to get it back to the way it looked in the 1860s, during the time of the civil war. Here I find myself conflicted. Having worked for the United States Park Service, I understand the mission: the importance of preseving sites for future generations to enjoy and learn about culture and history. But the battlefield looks stripped now...the trees made it aethestically pleasing, but I suppose that's not the point of The Battle at Gettysburg, now is it?

Still, the difference brought to my attention the need to build a page on Gettysburg...for the history of the US as well as the history of my family.

A little bit about my roots here

Battlefield Royalty...that's what VT member Vivalasteph called it and it keeps making me laugh, so I have to use it on here...I know she's gonna check this page out, so I hope she's not upset I "borrowed" her coined phrase!

It's not that at all, but my if my family has history in the US, here is where is it. My grandparents came here from Northern Ireland, spent some time briefly in the Philly area and then made their way to Gettysburg. My grandfather is buried in the National Cemetery and my other grandparents are in the Evergreen, which borders the National. Moving on...my grandfather on my mother's side was well known in this town. For those of you who have visited, he built the 1st electric map...one of the highlights and most informative sites in Gettysburg (will be under a "Must See Activity tip") He was also an artist--designed the county seal and many hand drawn maps of the area...as well as a sign painter. My grandmother worked in the Civil War museum until she was 80.

My parents met here when they were in elementary school, married here, had some of their children here. I still have a lot of family in this town too--it's just somewhat strange to think that my every generation of my family, since coming to the US, has lived here at some point.

• Last visit to Gettysburg: Apr 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2004

• Mar 29, 2010 at 3:11 PM

The Battle Theatre is now owned by an independent owner, but our service and low prices are still the same! Also the regular trolleys are no longer in service, although there are buses that run in their place.

• Robmj's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM

great Gettysburg page

• cplank2009's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 9:22 AM

the trollys have been around as long as i can remember and i'm 18. I think they are a permenant fixture in gettysburg

• tony248's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I've heard stories of strange happenings at Gettysburg from re-enactors that in the movie "Gettysburg". Like the director having a fit over "extras" being in shot when no one was there. Kind of things you would expect to hear about a site like this.

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 11:41 AM

Thank you for the great idea of visting the Wax museum!! I have now put it on my list to see while I am there in October!!

• Feb 14, 2007 at 1:16 PM

I took this tour .This house was the home of Jennie Wade's sister. She had given birth and Jennie was there helping her. The bread she was making was being made for them. Jennie Waid's house is down the street across from the Farnsworth' house.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2005 at 6:32 PM

Hi. Good job on your Gettysburg travel page--We love visiting that area of Pennsylvania

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 5:30 PM

Poor Jenny is right! Dang!!! Makes ya wanna quit bakin, don't it? ha ha ha. I would like to do some of their ghost tours.

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 8:05 PM

Katey...b b beautiful Katey....fantastic encapsulisation of the highlights of Gettysburg... I have seen the electric map... walked the Devils Den and climbed Little Round Top up to the monument/lookout point. Best wishes on your marriage.

• SpagBoll's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 10:32 AM

I'm a bit of an ACW nut , thanks for your Gettysburg page and hope the wedding went great.

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Gettysburg

Have you been to Gettysburg?

Latest Activity in Gettysburg