"NYC's unlikely destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn by PA2AKgirl

Brooklyn Travel Guide: 356 reviews and 752 photos

Growing up, I spent a lot of time in Manhattan--my brother lived first in the Village and then up in Midtown. I went there pretty often...his gifts to me for holidays were always trips to the city to see shows, attend galas and openings with him or just to hang out. By the time I was a teenager or so, I knew the city pretty well and was able to wander around--however, I never really left Manhattan all that much.

A couple years ago, I worked with the National Park Service--lived in Queens and Brooklyn and worked some of the time in Staten Island. While I still like Manhattan for some things, I enjoy spending my time in Queens and Brooklyn.

lived way down in the Southern part of Brooklyn and on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens...where there is no train. For the most part, it was pretty quiet and definitely enjoyable.

There is so much to do--so many things you don't associate with New York City in these areas...and that's what I'm focusing my page on. The wide open spaces of these areas:-)

• Pros:not nearly as expensive as Manhattan, more open space, a little easier to get around
  • Cons:crowded, the Belt Parkway, polluted
  • Last visit to Brooklyn: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2004

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Great brooklyn tips thank you...Donna ;-)

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Very nice tips, my son and I came here not too long ago, he loved the ocean and Coney Island.

• gilescorey's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 2:55 PM

I know something big is gonna happen at Coney Island...some massive condo development, but I don't know the details, yet. I'll keep you posted.

• Sep 12, 2005 at 9:18 AM

Hi Katey, Great pix. I'd love to learn how you got to ride in the Fuji blimp. . . . ?

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Katey, I thoroughly enjoyed your tips. We get enough of the touristy places, nice to read about everyday places. Thank you. Pa

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Ok, there is this one cartoon on Adult Swim that I always catch the end of. It has a talking pack of Satan fries, a talking meatball, and assorted weird characters...I do not need mind altering drugs with this show..Do you know what its called?

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2004 at 7:51 AM

Brooklyn has never been my favorite place, but you've managed to find so much to do!

• rrcampmaster's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2004 at 7:11 AM

a water person huh ? me too ,Love it gotta be around it , hope you have a killer good day!!

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 10:24 AM

Very nice pictures and a super outing. Goodyear blimps used to visit Portland every summer and I have the blimp engines sound memorized! Similar experiences for me would be, legs dangling out the door of a Huey bopping over the German landscape.

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2004 at 1:14 PM

that blinb ride looks like it was awesome! I'll have to see if I can finagle a ride like that sometime!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Brooklyn

Have you been to Brooklyn?

Latest Activity in Brooklyn