"The Highlands/Atl. Highlands/Sea Bright area" Top 5 Page for this destination Highlands by PA2AKgirl
Highlands Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 57 photos
Being from Pennsylvania, you're instilled with this unjustified disgust for all things Jersey. But I really like the state--it has a great amount of natural diversity for being so small and crammed between two huge cities. When I lived at Ft. Hancock/Sandy Hook, I quickly fell in love with the area and the people. I didn't get to stay long before I had to move to Alaska, but I'm very happy I got to live there at all. I worked in NYC and the commute wasn't as painful as I thought it would be (expensive, but not painful) and I got to live on the ocean with the NYC skyline as my view.
The nightlife is great, too--we went out about every single night. In the summer, you can hang out on the beach in the day and then hit the bars at night--they are much more reasonable than NYC with my personal favorite, outside seating! there's always live bands or something else going on.
- Pros:close to NYC, but far enough away that you don't feel like you're in a suburb
- Cons:Winter is a bit chilly--the beaches get very crowded in the summer
The New York Harbor was set up to be very well protected against enemy attack. If you look at a map, coming into the... more travel advice
Sandy Hook has a pretty good trail system...the one through the holly forest is exceptional. Mostly because it's a holly... more travel advice
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Highlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HIGHLANDS/SANDY HOOK--Million Dollar View!"
- "Sandy Hook and Around..."
- "The Highlands/Atl. Highlands/Sea Bright area"
- "Atlantic Highlands and Sandy Hook"
- "Highlands, New Jersey"
- "Highlands & Sandy Hook"
- "New Jersey, USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Highlands
- Transportation in Highlands
- Nightlife in Highlands
- Restaurants in Highlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Highlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Highlands
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Highlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Highlands
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
- Commented on one of Easty's Highlands travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fortifications and Military Presence in Highlands Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fortifications and Military Presence"
- created a Highlands Travel Page "The Highlands/Atl. Highlands/Sea Bright area"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues