"The Highlands/Atl. Highlands/Sea Bright area" Top 5 Page for this destination Highlands by PA2AKgirl

Highlands Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 57 photos

Being from Pennsylvania, you're instilled with this unjustified disgust for all things Jersey. But I really like the state--it has a great amount of natural diversity for being so small and crammed between two huge cities. When I lived at Ft. Hancock/Sandy Hook, I quickly fell in love with the area and the people. I didn't get to stay long before I had to move to Alaska, but I'm very happy I got to live there at all. I worked in NYC and the commute wasn't as painful as I thought it would be (expensive, but not painful) and I got to live on the ocean with the NYC skyline as my view.

The nightlife is great, too--we went out about every single night. In the summer, you can hang out on the beach in the day and then hit the bars at night--they are much more reasonable than NYC with my personal favorite, outside seating! there's always live bands or something else going on.

• Pros:close to NYC, but far enough away that you don't feel like you're in a suburb
  • Cons:Winter is a bit chilly--the beaches get very crowded in the summer
  • Last visit to Highlands: Jul 2003
  • Intro Written Feb 5, 2004

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Hello there Katey, sorry I missed your b-day hope you had a great day...D :)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Wow! Sure seems like Jersey has some wonderful scenery! I think they are getting a bad rap!!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 4:26 PM

Nightlife sounds cool here, scenery not bad either

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 8:40 AM

i know some folks who frequent that nude beach...what exactly IS a gunnifreak anyway? Is is possible that I know some?

• Easty's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2004 at 5:44 PM

I was here on Friday. I agree that it is hard to believe it is that close to NYC. Got some great shots out of the Twin Lighthouses.

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 2:11 PM

With mid 80 F. weather for the day in April, I went to Sandy Hook to walk along the beaches. Saw a ranger station... was tempted, but saw it was closed.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 5:10 PM

From your knowledge of harbour defenses, good submarine sandwiches and happening night spots, I would say that you have had a well-rounded education! A great page!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Highlands

Have you been to Highlands?