"The Outer Banks of North Carolina" Hatteras Island by PA2AKgirl
Hatteras Island Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 61 photos
A lot of people from the the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast US vacation on the Outer Banks. It's within a days drive and very nice. In the past 10 years or so, it's become very crowded and very touristy. We used to vacation there when we'd be the only ones on the beach in July. Still, it's pretty. Most people go to Nags Head, Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills, but we go down to Hatteras Island. If you don't NEED to have chain restaurants or grocery stores right by you, it's the better option.
There's a lot of bars and clubs to go to in the summer and on the weekends in the off season
- Pros:Nice beaches, a good portion of Hatteras Island is protected so there's little development on the island, hot weather
- Cons:can get very crowded, tendency to be a target for hurricanes, windy, lots of tourist traps
- In a nutshell:You are guaranteed to have fun on the Outer Banks, but except to wait in lines to do anything other than go to the beach
A LOT more people are going down to Hatteras for their summer vacations...many more than when we first started going and... more travel advice
I am assuming it's possible to get to the Ferry once again from Hatteras village. Hurricane Isabel created a new inlet,... more travel advice
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Hatteras Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Outer Banks of North Carolina"
- "Free Car Ferry to Ocracoke"
- "Motorcycle Trip"
- "Sanddunes and beaches"
- "Hatteras Island - no US beyond that Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hatteras Island
- Hotels in Hatteras Island
- Nightlife in Hatteras Island
- Restaurants in Hatteras Island
- Shopping in Hatteras Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Hatteras Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Hatteras Island
- 25 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Hatteras Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hatteras Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues