"The Outer Banks of North Carolina" Hatteras Island by PA2AKgirl

Hatteras Island Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 61 photos

A lot of people from the the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast US vacation on the Outer Banks. It's within a days drive and very nice. In the past 10 years or so, it's become very crowded and very touristy. We used to vacation there when we'd be the only ones on the beach in July. Still, it's pretty. Most people go to Nags Head, Kitty Hawk or Kill Devil Hills, but we go down to Hatteras Island. If you don't NEED to have chain restaurants or grocery stores right by you, it's the better option.

After a hurricane, the Avalon Pier was the best shape

There's a lot of bars and clubs to go to in the summer and on the weekends in the off season

• Pros:Nice beaches, a good portion of Hatteras Island is protected so there's little development on the island, hot weather
  • Cons:can get very crowded, tendency to be a target for hurricanes, windy, lots of tourist traps
  • In a nutshell:You are guaranteed to have fun on the Outer Banks, but except to wait in lines to do anything other than go to the beach
  • Last visit to Hatteras Island: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 3, 2006

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 2:59 PM

Real nice exposé on the Outer Banks. Even though I've been there ump-teen times, I don't believe I could do better.

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 10:19 AM

I will surely catch it sometime this weakend (steady lass!) Hey, I can flick my right wrist to make a loud popping sound...Must be from my drumming years...

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2004 at 8:14 AM

I am fascinated by barrier islands also. I just came back from the Outer Banks (no pages yet). I saw all four lighthouses. Great trip. You page is very good. Too bad I did not read it before the trip.

• chodearm's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 12:27 PM

I too am very into Barrier beaches, the formation of, the make up, and their shifting movement. Fire Island, the un developed parts that is, is my playground. Have you been there?

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 3:23 PM

a lovely page ! It is always again nice to see such beautiful lighttowers ... they take my memories back to the time when I was working on cruiseships... :-)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 9:08 AM

I was a fan of dinosaurs in my childhood, I'd love to see a real one *remaining* in the land it used to live in, what a great place for fishing with locals :-) I like this page, Thanks Katey for opening it for us :-D

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 3:51 AM

I would love to have seen the Lighthouse on the move! Hatteras is so famous for Hurricanes! Seems like a fun area!! I'd love to try the Blue fishing......I used to catch them in Maine.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2004 at 7:42 PM

Great page! Love the Outer Banks, booked for Hatteras in September 2004. Beautiful photos, love the lighthouses, one of my favorite things to photo! Very helpful information, thank you. :o)

• grishaV1's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2004 at 8:50 AM

great tips, ones people can really use they go here.....i would love the surfing best, definitely the beaches are good. have visited some of these areas before

• Vcela's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2004 at 9:18 AM

Looks like a lovely location for lighthouse lovers:) It sounds quite nice.

PA2AKgirl Visits Here Frequently!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Hatteras Island

Have you been to Hatteras Island?