"Mobile and the Gulf Coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile by PA2AKgirl

Mobile Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 727 photos

If you are not close to Mobile or from the South, a lot of people don't even consider Mobile or Alabama's Gulf Coast an option. You should! The beaches are clean, prices aren't too expensive, people are friendly, the water is beautiful. Mobile itself has good points too. Lots of things to do--from going out to shopping to cultural events. The weather, though they do get a lot of rain here (but in short amounts) is pretty remarkable. When it's hot, it's definitely HOT, but there's beaches close by so it's not bad. The winters are often mild with perhaps a couple cold days a year. The sunny, clear days are perfect.

The location

Mobile is located close to Pensacola, Florida; Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans, Louisiana--all are convenient day trips and very popular places to visit. I don't understand how Mobile is so often overlooked. For me, it was my first choice for college...I graduated University of South Alabama

The people

Everyone is so nice! I made wonderful friends with whom I'll never lose contact. This is my friend (and former roommate) Heather...we meet up from time to time when her job takes her up the Atlantic seaboard (she works as a deckhand on a personal yacht) My 1st wonderful trip to Savannah was to meet her at Thunderbolt:) We had the best time!

• Pros:Not a tourist trap, lots of history (first Mardi Gras), good fishing, close to Pensacola, Biloxi and New Orleans
  • Cons:Can get a little chilly in the winter, in the city, you'll be shocked how some people just throw trash out of their cars, traffic can be somewhat congested
  • In a nutshell:Mobile/Gulf Shores is a great place to go.
  • Last visit to Mobile: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2004

• brewjohnson's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Fantastic Mobile page! Wow. Great work.

• tony248's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2007 at 8:12 PM

More to see in Mobile than I thought! When we go back to Pensacola, we will have to make time for more of Mobile than we have seen. I'm a HEAVY metal fan so I loved Battleship Park. :)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Yeap the people littering the streets of Memphis and the kids selling the Sunday paper at major stoplights. The things you see when you don't have your gun...

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Mobile is my hometown and I was always so eager to get away from it. I guess lots of people feel like that about wherever they're from. You've done a great job of portraying it, though; almost makes me want to go back!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2006 at 4:52 AM

mmmm Spanish moss in the oaks. I can see why you love that street. Wondering about Huntsville. Pics coming soon?

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2005 at 4:29 AM

Mobile looks quite nice really, I had a friend that lived there. Like the Convention Centre pic, its very cool!! Great site!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2004 at 10:41 PM

Wow, you really did update this page! Great new Tips and photos on this interesting looking Gulf Coast location!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 6:03 AM

The Strawberry Tea sounds delicious! Love the Pix from the aquarium. Glad you guys are back, I missed ya! :)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 9:50 AM

The Jags, Museums, and Battleships...what else do you need?

• talmid's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 3:06 PM

There's a Bob Dylan song that says "...to be stucked inside of Mobile, with the Menphis blues again..." Maybe he was talking about this town :-) Nice to know a place that the great prophet considered to be included in a song. Thanks for the page!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Mobile