"Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka by PA2AKgirl
Sitka Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 278 photos
I lived in Sitka for the better part of 2003 working as a National Park Ranger. Having never been to Alaska, and moving directly from New York City, I didn't know what to expect, but it was truly amazing. The people are virtuous, friendly and sincere. They believe in what the do and the Tlingits have an amazing culture. They still carve totem poles and other things out of red cedar, they do beading, basketry, weaving, silversmithing...just to name a few things...and it's beautiful.
I would like to address some of the questions I get about Sitka and clear up some of the "confusion"
Alaska is a huge state.
Whereas Texas, the largest state in the lower 48 is 261,914 square miles, Alaska is 570,374 square miles. I worked in the southeast, down by British Columbia. Juneau, the state capital, is 87 miles to the north/northeast Therefore, not everything you hear about Alaska applies to the whole state. For example:
Sitka doesn't receive 6 months of daylight, 6 months of darkness. Again, we are talking about someplace way south of the "interior" (Sitka--at 56 degrees north, Fairbanks--64+ degrees) Sitka does get a lot of daylight in the summer...it gets dark at like 11pm and light at 4 or something, but there's never the 6/6
Sitka doesn't get cold. In fact, the winters are MUCH warmer there than they are in Pennsylvania. They get to right around freezing, not much below in the dead of winter. Summers are moderate...average in the mid 60s.(F) Why is this? Because it's right on the ocean and its climate is controlled by the warm ocean currents, the same currents that moderate a lot of coastal towns.
The majority of the native population living in Sitka is "Tlingit". To learn more about the native groups in Alaska, please refer to this site: Alaska Native Heritage Center
And finally, while a lot of people are familiar with the saying "In Alaska, the odds are good, but the goods are odd" it doesn't apply to Sitka. There is pretty much an even ratio of males to females. Sorry, ladies. Are the goods odd? Well, go check them out yourself :-)
- Pros:Beautiful, Clean, amazing wildlife, Decent nightlife, friendly people
- Cons:Expensive to live there, lots of rain, only accessible by plane or ferry
- In a nutshell:GO! You will fall in love with this place and be surprised how it's unlike your stereotype of Alaska
I was probably in Sitka for a few months before someone pointed out "Cross Mountain" to me. Maybe it's because I can... more travel advice
The Shee Atika is about as central as you can get in Sitka. It's not a big town, as I've stated before and the other... more travel advice
- See All Crow Island (as an example)
- See All You get what you pay for...
- See All Alaska Marine Highway
- See All Good Breakfast
- See All Great Little Bookstore
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Sitka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!"
- "The Independent Traveler's Guide to Sitka"
- "Sitka ~ Tlingit, Russian & American Melting Pot"
- "Now And Then"
- "Most scenic town in Alaska"
- "Southeastern Alaska"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sitka
- Hotels in Sitka
- Transportation in Sitka
- Nightlife in Sitka
- Restaurants in Sitka
- Shopping in Sitka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sitka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sitka
- 43 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Sitka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sitka
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
- Commented on one of starship's Sitka travel pages
- updated a Sitka Travel Page "Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!"
- Wrote a Review Cross Mountain in Sitka Favorites
Photos in SitkaSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues