"Scenic Seward" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by PA2AKgirl

Seward Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 480 photos

An Alaskan Town That Has It All

More often than not, if you want to visit a place in Alaska, you have to use the one mode of transportation that gets you there. If it's a road, that's very lucky. If it's commercial air service, it's usually expensive. Well, Seward can be reached by multiple modes of transportation available in Alaska--the railroad, the highway (through rental car or even bus service), chartered boats and planes, and through commerical service. It's quite unique in that way and it's also pretty close to Anchorage with direct access on the Seward highway, so visiting is simple.

It takes a couple hours to reach Seward from Anchorage--more if you stop to take pictures or view the wildlife along the way--and the entire drive is beautiful. I think the train ride is something like 4 hours. Once you get to Seward, it's not so much about saying you made it there (as it is with some other Alaskan towns) but it's about choosing what to do first. There's lots of places to eat, museums, wildlife viewing, hiking, Kenai Fjords National Park, fishing, boating, shopping, coffee houses and bars.

I like Seward even more like I like Homer. Homer has the dramatic view of Kachemak Bay when you're getting into town, it's larger and has the insane amount of eagles down on the spit. But Seward reminds me a little more of Sitka and I've been looking for a substitute up here. The whole atmosphere is similar. From the rain to sincerity of the people, it feels like the home I knew in Southeast Alaska from the moment I walked inside the first business.

• Pros:A wonderful escape from the city life of Anchorage
  • Last visit to Seward: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2007

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 1:12 AM

Superb page. Take me there now......

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM

great tips!

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Excellent tips again. Thanks. I'll bring my Meclizine. May need it for Homer to Seldovia too.

• kazander's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2007 at 7:52 AM

This looks like a great place! Might we venture here? The vomit boat does sound disgusting. If we do that I will take pills and wear my wristy things...

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Once again, excellent page and tip writing...I love that picture of the bird cresting that ocean swell!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I like small towns like Seward too, especially ones with landscape around it like this! Beaut photos and great tips as always! We have so far not been sea-sick on our 3 whale-watching trips (Nfld, NB & BC) and we've noticed that they all share info too.

PA2AKgirl Visits Here Frequently!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Seward