"Scenic Seward" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by PA2AKgirl
Seward Travel Guide: 201 reviews and 480 photos
More often than not, if you want to visit a place in Alaska, you have to use the one mode of transportation that gets you there. If it's a road, that's very lucky. If it's commercial air service, it's usually expensive. Well, Seward can be reached by multiple modes of transportation available in Alaska--the railroad, the highway (through rental car or even bus service), chartered boats and planes, and through commerical service. It's quite unique in that way and it's also pretty close to Anchorage with direct access on the Seward highway, so visiting is simple.
It takes a couple hours to reach Seward from Anchorage--more if you stop to take pictures or view the wildlife along the way--and the entire drive is beautiful. I think the train ride is something like 4 hours. Once you get to Seward, it's not so much about saying you made it there (as it is with some other Alaskan towns) but it's about choosing what to do first. There's lots of places to eat, museums, wildlife viewing, hiking, Kenai Fjords National Park, fishing, boating, shopping, coffee houses and bars.
I like Seward even more like I like Homer. Homer has the dramatic view of Kachemak Bay when you're getting into town, it's larger and has the insane amount of eagles down on the spit. But Seward reminds me a little more of Sitka and I've been looking for a substitute up here. The whole atmosphere is similar. From the rain to sincerity of the people, it feels like the home I knew in Southeast Alaska from the moment I walked inside the first business.
- Pros:A wonderful escape from the city life of Anchorage
No matter when you visit, bring layers of clothing. It probably won't be very warm but it definitely can be cold.... more travel advice
If you are going to be in Alaska for the 4th of July, you'll find you have a big decison to make: where to spend the... more travel advice
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Seward Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Seward"
- "Seward - Scenery that can't be beat"
- "Jumping Around Seward!"
- "A Favorite Destination"
- "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- "Great fishing town on Kenai Peninsula"
- "Seward, a small and friendly harbor town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seward
- Hotels in Seward
- Transportation in Seward
- Restaurants in Seward
- Shopping in Seward
- Warnings and Dangers in Seward
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seward
- 14 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Seward?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seward
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues