Puerto Rico Hotel Tips by PA2AKgirl Top 5 Page for this destination
Puerto Rico Hotels: 119 reviews and 122 photos
I stayed here my first night in town for 2 reasons: 1) I didn't know anyplace BUT old San Juan and 2) I found a really great price on their website. The hotel is BEAUTIFUL. My room was okay, it was nothing special, but that's because I didn't pay for anything special. I'm not a 4 star hotel kind of girl--if anything, I prefer tents to hotels if given the choice, but I don't think there's too much in the way of campsites in Old San Juan and I'd be a little skeptical if there was:) Anyway, like I said, it's a great hotel...the people are very nice, it's located next to everything you might want to see in Old San Juan.
Unique Qualities: It has a great rooftop pool and bar that overlooks the water and the whole city:) Everything I've read about it considers it a luxury hotel...perhaps it was.
I need to tell you to look on their own website for deals. I paid $99 a night and someone I talked to much later in the week paid $350 a night for the same kind of room. So, I'll put the price range somewhere in the middle
I really wish I had a picture, but there's lots of them on their own website.
Address: 100 Brumbaugh Street
Comparison: about average
Directions: In Old San Juan at the cruise ship docks--many people know of the hotel.
Ahhh, if I could have stayed here, it would have made my trip even better. But, I just got to meet some of the people who work here and take a tour of this place. My friend is friends with the owner, the woman who also does the artwork that you'll see throughout the building. It's completely amazing...her specialty is busts and other sculpture, mostly, from what I saw, things that include faces:)
Unique Qualities: I don't even know where to begin. The whole place is unique. I'll just list some of the features:
The building is 300 years old
There are exotic birds, mostly parrots everywhere in the courtyard
Fountains, plants, sculptures...
A room with a 9 foot grand Steinway piano.
There's terraces and courtyards, an open air lobby...
You have your choice of rooms: the artists room is $145, The colonial rooms are $195, Vista Rooms are $270 and the Topside Suite is $350. A night. You can understand why I didn't stay here.
Address: 204-206 Norzagaray Street
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Right across from the Fort in Old San Juan, on the hill
Price: US$180 and up
I needed to get back to the airport the next day, so I wanted to be close and Isla Verde is the best choice for that. Oceanfront hotels, cheaper than San Juan and 5 minutes by car to the airport. As I described in my nightlife tip of this place, it has a great bar that is a local hangout.
Unique Qualities: Well, the fact it's RIGHT on the ocean is a decent quality. I walked out of my room, onto the terrace and out to the beach. Also, it has an internet kiosk for $1.00 per half hour which, by far is the best price I found ($3.00 for 1/2 hour in Vieques) and the breakfast is okay. Also, there's a good Italian restaurant at the hotel called Freddo's.
Address: 4851 Isla Verde Avenue, Carolina
Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Main road in Isla Verde, if you can find the water, you can find this hotel. It's across from a 7-11 and near the brewery.
More Reviews (11)
- It's more like THE beaten path
- I think I'm getting old
- See All Definitely a local hangout
- Spanish is definitely useful:)
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Puerto Rico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Rico--The Island of Enchantment!"
- "Perfect Island Vacation"
- "Que Rico, Puerto Rico"
- "The Main Island"
- "Hexe Goes to Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rican "Shorty-moon""
- "Vounteering in Puerto Rico with my daughter!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Rico
- Hotels in Puerto Rico
- Transportation in Puerto Rico
- Nightlife in Puerto Rico
- Restaurants in Puerto Rico
- Shopping in Puerto Rico
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Rico
- See All...
Explore the World
- Shiverick Inn
- Econo Lodge Silver City
- Friends Hotel
- Machiavelli Palace
- Ocean Guest House
- Hotel Fort Canning
- Hampton Inn Newburgh
- Opal Inn
- Waimea Country Lodge
- Clarion Cloitre Saint Louis Hotel
- Hotel Occidental Abando
- By Appointment
- Baja Outpost
- Hotel Mandala
Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico
- 35 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Puerto Rico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Rico
Photos in Puerto RicoSee All Photos (49)
Read real reviews about Puerto Rico Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Top Puerto Rico hotels
- San Juan Hotels
- 689 Reviews - 2183 Photos
- Rio Grande Hotels
- 1 Review - 6 Photos
- Lajas Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Dorado Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Culebra Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 2 Photos
- Yauco Hotels
- 1 Review
- Carolina Hotels
- 7 Hotels
- Rincon Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Humacao Hotels
- 1 Review
- Cabo Rojo Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Aguadilla Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Guayanilla Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Mayaguez Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Fajardo Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Playa de Ponce Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Old San Juan- 36 Reviews, 81 Photos
- El Yunque/Caribbean Rain Forest- 45 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Beaches- 28 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Bacardi Rum Factory- 14 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro- 17 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Water Sports & Activities- 13 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Rio Camuy Caves- 9 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Capilla Del Cristo- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Historical Sites- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Arecibo Observatory- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos