"The Main Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico by PA2AKgirl
Puerto Rico Travel Guide: 2,414 reviews and 6,453 photos
I didn't get to spend too much time on the main island--most of it was spent on an island off the east coast, called Vieques. Therefore, I'm going to put everything about Vieques on its own separate page and just combine everything else. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the south coast to Ponce or to the west coast to Rincon...places I really wanted to see. Just not enough time...I'll get it done next time, though:)
On my last day, we did get to El Yunque, the rainforest--even though we had to do a whirlwind tour of it, it was amazingly beautiful.
I spent my 1st night, my last afternoon and a portion of another day in San Juan. I definitely like the city--the architecture and colors, specifically. Also the people are very nice and helpful here. Even though it ended up I was never on my own here, I wouldn't have felt uncomfortable at all if I would have been.
My last 15+ hours were spent in Isla Verde, part of Carolina near San Juan. It's pretty nice--a typical suburb in some ways but the people there are also very sweet. This is the only time I was traveling alone, but I just started talking to some people and spent the remainder of the evening with them. They were all from Pennsylvania too, so it could be they just felt responsible to take care of me. Either way, it was a good night and I enjoyed Isla Verde.
The rest of my time on the main island I was in Fajardo, which I will certainly comment on--my least favorite place...I heard it called either the New Jersey of Puerto Rico or the Staten Island. Regardless of what it can be compared to, I am sure there are some good things about it. The only reason I was there multiple times is because that's where the ferry from Vieques docks or where Vieques Air Link flies into. OR my time was spent on the Autopista trying to get from San Juan to Fajardo.
Ahhh, if I could have stayed here, it would have made my trip even better. But, I just got to meet some of the people... more travel advice
My first night in town, my flight arrived a bit late into San Juan. By the time I got to my hotel, it was pretty late... more travel advice
Written Mar 26, 2004
Additional El Yunque Pictures
Written Mar 26, 2004
Around Viejo San Juan
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Puerto Rico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Que Rico, Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rico--The Island of Enchantment!"
- "Perfect Island Vacation"
- "The Main Island"
- "Hexe Goes to Puerto Rico"
- "Puerto Rican "Shorty-moon""
- "Vounteering in Puerto Rico with my daughter!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Rico
- Hotels in Puerto Rico
- Transportation in Puerto Rico
- Nightlife in Puerto Rico
- Restaurants in Puerto Rico
- Shopping in Puerto Rico
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Rico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico
- 35 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Puerto Rico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Rico
Photos in Puerto RicoSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues