"The Main Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Rico by PA2AKgirl

Puerto Rico Travel Guide: 2,363 reviews and 6,246 photos

I didn't get to spend too much time on the main island--most of it was spent on an island off the east coast, called Vieques. Therefore, I'm going to put everything about Vieques on its own separate page and just combine everything else. Unfortunately, I didn't get to the south coast to Ponce or to the west coast to Rincon...places I really wanted to see. Just not enough time...I'll get it done next time, though:)

On my last day, we did get to El Yunque, the rainforest--even though we had to do a whirlwind tour of it, it was amazingly beautiful.

I spent my 1st night, my last afternoon and a portion of another day in San Juan. I definitely like the city--the architecture and colors, specifically. Also the people are very nice and helpful here. Even though it ended up I was never on my own here, I wouldn't have felt uncomfortable at all if I would have been.

My last 15+ hours were spent in Isla Verde, part of Carolina near San Juan. It's pretty nice--a typical suburb in some ways but the people there are also very sweet. This is the only time I was traveling alone, but I just started talking to some people and spent the remainder of the evening with them. They were all from Pennsylvania too, so it could be they just felt responsible to take care of me. Either way, it was a good night and I enjoyed Isla Verde.

The rest of my time on the main island I was in Fajardo, which I will certainly comment on--my least favorite place...I heard it called either the New Jersey of Puerto Rico or the Staten Island. Regardless of what it can be compared to, I am sure there are some good things about it. The only reason I was there multiple times is because that's where the ferry from Vieques docks or where Vieques Air Link flies into. OR my time was spent on the Autopista trying to get from San Juan to Fajardo.

• Last visit to Puerto Rico: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 27, 2004

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Katey, nice to read about El Yunque rainforest. During my one day stop I only visited the old town of San Juan.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 5:52 PM

Great page - enjoyed reading it and the photos.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 1:22 PM

Nice page, wonderful pictures, useful infos, good job! Greetings from Poland.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 9:16 PM

You pretty much nailed some of the P.R. specialities and quirks, too...I have family in Puerto Rico. It can be both a challenge and a delight!

• Oct 10, 2004 at 10:21 AM

Fantastic pages - the "get drunk fall down sign" really made me LOL!! Excellent work, tips, and first-class photo's :-))

• Allikatac's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 8:11 AM

Really great tips, especially the driving! I wish I would have had the chance to visit Vieques... Happy traveling

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 4:05 PM

Interesting and honest descriptions! Enjoyed reading your page about PR.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2004 at 10:33 AM

I don't think I'd be able to choose between plantains with crab, the coconut shrimp with a pineapple sweet and sour sauce. I'd like to try them all!

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 5:51 PM

hahaha....I remember all the bloody stop lights on route 3 between San Juan and Fajardo.....that drive did suck...

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2004 at 10:37 AM

Doen't sound nearly as fun as Vieques! What driving nightmares!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Rico

Have you been to Puerto Rico?

Latest Activity in Puerto Rico