Alaska Off The Beaten Path Tips by PA2AKgirl Top 5 Page for this destination
Alaska Off The Beaten Path: 110 reviews and 187 photos
the road (bumpier than it looks) and pipeline
The Dalton Highway, known as “The Haul” or “The Long Haul” is considered the last great highway. I suppose this depends on your idea of great highways. This one is the most desolate of all highways, certainly in Alaska & that is a high standard to have as most of our roads are desolate. It’s technically Alaska route 11, runs 414 miles north of Livengood to Deadhorse up near the Arctic Ocean. Very few sections are paved and parts of the road are in terrible condition. It’s mainly used as a way to get supplies up to the oil fields at Prudhoe Bay but almost the entire thing is pure wilderness. For 240 miles, there are no services whatsoever so bringing your own gasoline, spare tires and tools to fix your car are a must. Plus food and something to sleep in, on or with. Once you get to Deadhorse, you cannot go to the Arctic Ocean by yourself—you have to arrange a tour to get out there. While on this road, it’s important to remember that truckers have the right of way, so you have to let them pass.
There are many good & bad things about this road. Because it’s so difficult, private vehicle don’t take it very often. It’s impossible to go fast, it’s not built up at all, you cross the Arctic Circle & who knows what adventures you can have while taking this road. You need to have a lot of time and until recently, a lot faith in your own vehicle and the others on it. I say this because it’s likely rocks will crack the glass or cause other damage. You might have car trouble and you have to be able to fix it yourself or hope someone can help you. Now, there’s a place in Fairbanks that allows you to rent vehicles outfitted to make this trip and a couple other rental companies as well. We took a test drive on this road and because it was April, there wasn't much traffic at all. No gas at the 2 gas stations at mile 60 either. But after doing this, we probably will try to use our own car. The cost of the rental doesn't cover cracked glass or any other damage and our insurance does.
More Reviews (63)
- See All Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali
- See All Hiking
- See All At the end of the pavement
- See All So cute and so burly:)
- See All Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine
- See All Roadhouses
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Explore the World
- Manzanillo del Mar Hotels
- Province of Rizal Hotels
- Lac de Derborence Hotels
- Muddus Nationalpark
- Provincia de Heredia Hotels
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 169 Reviews
- 296 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
- Wrote a Review Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali in Alaska Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali"
- Commented on one of kazander's Alaska travel pages
- updated a Alaska Travelogue "Glenn Highway (Anchorage to Glennallen)"
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Top Alaska hotels
- Anchorage Hotels
- 818 Reviews - 1480 Photos
- Seward Hotels
- 201 Reviews - 484 Photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 596 Photos
- Fairbanks Hotels
- 315 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Barrow Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Juneau Hotels
- 357 Reviews - 869 Photos
- Dutch Harbor Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Sitka Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Ketchikan Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Kenai Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Homer Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 367 Photos
- Kodiak Hotels
- 256 Reviews - 446 Photos
- Valdez Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Skagway Hotels
- 158 Reviews - 459 Photos
- Tetlin Junction Hotels
- See nearby hotels