"Alaska--my home for now (again)" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by PA2AKgirl
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,821 reviews and 14,524 photos
It's hard enough to do a page on any state or country, but this one...about impossible unless you've lived here your entire life and have the time and means. The only thing people can do and have done is cover it the best they can. Alaska is bigger than a lot of countries and isolated from the rest of the States. Within the state, one town is isolated from the rest. I'll be here for the next couple years and lived here previously, so I'm going to attempt to conquer this vast, diverse and unique place.
A disclaimer I put on many of my pages applies to this one as well: this is a work in progress. Each time we get an opportunity, we'll explore and I'll then add more tips. Until then, I'll do what I know and what I have.
I know I could write a tip for each of these, but I tend not to build giant pages. For me, seeing a page with over 200 tips turns me away. Maybe each does provide useful information but personally, it's too much. Therefore, I'm just putting a few links on this intro page that you should check out if you're traveling to Alaska. Even living here, I look at them frequently.
This site updates all the time to give the current status of each road, urgent reports, construction, etc.
Alaska Marine Highway
Bookings, routes, schedules and other information about the ferry.
Earthquake information for Alaska
Most recent and significant earthquakes in the past
Alaska Volcano Observatory
Status of monitored volcanoes in Alaska
Alaska's National Parks
Easily get to the one you're looking for or find one you didn't know about. In time, I'm sure I'll be covering as many of these as I can:)
I think that's enough for now. I might end up moving these if I feel it's necessary but hopefully getting this information without having to weed through tips will be helpful to you.
- Pros:You're often alone in a beautiful wilderness, lots to see. Unlike the other states.
- Cons:Can be cold and dark. Or it's summer and touristy. Can be very expensive.
- In a nutshell:An unparalleled experience
I know a lot of people are going to hate that I'm putting this into the tourist trap category but so be it. I was not... more travel advice
There aren't many options for food on the Denali Highway...there aren't many options for any services, really. And after... more travel advice
- See All Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine
- See All Roadhouses
- See All Tough exterior, kind interior
- See All Ugh, Whittier
- Local Bars
PA2AKgirl's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 169 Reviews
- 296 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
- Wrote a Review Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali in Alaska Tourist Traps
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sled Dog Demonstration at Denali"
- Commented on one of kazander's Alaska travel pages
- updated a Alaska Travelogue "Glenn Highway (Anchorage to Glennallen)"
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Exit Glacier Trail in Late May?"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska Intro, 64 reviews, 136 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 52 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 43 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lewisburg Intro, 34 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 30 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mobile Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brooklyn Intro, 23 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues