"Alaska--my home for now (again)" Top 5 Page for this destination Alaska by PA2AKgirl

Alaska Travel Guide: 6,758 reviews and 14,347 photos

PAGE IN CONTINUOUS PROGRESS

It's hard enough to do a page on any state or country, but this one...about impossible unless you've lived here your entire life and have the time and means. The only thing people can do and have done is cover it the best they can. Alaska is bigger than a lot of countries and isolated from the rest of the States. Within the state, one town is isolated from the rest. I'll be here for the next couple years and lived here previously, so I'm going to attempt to conquer this vast, diverse and unique place.

A disclaimer I put on many of my pages applies to this one as well: this is a work in progress. Each time we get an opportunity, we'll explore and I'll then add more tips. Until then, I'll do what I know and what I have.

Very Useful Information

I know I could write a tip for each of these, but I tend not to build giant pages. For me, seeing a page with over 200 tips turns me away. Maybe each does provide useful information but personally, it's too much. Therefore, I'm just putting a few links on this intro page that you should check out if you're traveling to Alaska. Even living here, I look at them frequently.

Alaska road information
This site updates all the time to give the current status of each road, urgent reports, construction, etc.

Alaska Marine Highway
Bookings, routes, schedules and other information about the ferry.

Earthquake information for Alaska
Most recent and significant earthquakes in the past

Alaska Volcano Observatory
Status of monitored volcanoes in Alaska

Alaska's National Parks
Easily get to the one you're looking for or find one you didn't know about. In time, I'm sure I'll be covering as many of these as I can:)

I think that's enough for now. I might end up moving these if I feel it's necessary but hopefully getting this information without having to weed through tips will be helpful to you.

• Pros:You're often alone in a beautiful wilderness, lots to see. Unlike the other states.
  • Cons:Can be cold and dark. Or it's summer and touristy. Can be very expensive.
  • In a nutshell:An unparalleled experience
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2007

• nani80's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Hi Katey, I must say that I really enjoyed reading your reviews, although I'd never been to Alaska. I'll have to change that, as it really seems like a perfect place to visit!

• Sep 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I am doing a paper on Alaska and was wondering if you could help me find some answers to guestions I have.1.How do you dress for a business meeting.2.do you exchange business cards.3.What are some dining customs.

• Penelope4's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Awesome!

• perfectly_zen's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Amazing pictures!!! Lovely! Congratulations!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM

Your tips are amazing. Wanna grab my camera and expierence Alaska myself. Was "the Haul" the road being traveled in the series "Ice Road Truckers"? Sounds like my kind of adventure.

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Nice pages! I see you love Alaska.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 6:38 AM

Alaska was featured once in National Geographic. And, there's one town that was filled with Filipinos! It is actually in Kodiak!

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Good pages. lots of page views.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2008 at 4:19 AM

Beautiful photo. We liked Anchorage and all of Alaska that we visited. One place, where, if it wasn't so far away, we would be back for a longer time.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Hey to Katey & Bobby! Sorry it's been so long since saying "Hello" and glad to see y'all doing your usual most unique and enlightening tips. ;-) You're both a pleasure to behold! Be Well & lot's of happiness to you from North Carolina!

PA2AKgirl Used To Live Here!

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Alaska