"Vieques" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Vieques by PA2AKgirl

Isla de Vieques Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 91 photos

Most of my time in Puerto Rico was spent on the island of Vieques, visiting my friend, Steph. I had an excellent time and hope to return later on in the year, probably in the fall or winter.

I definitely think it helps to know someone who lives here--I did things that tourists do, but got the benefit of having a connection which meant I got private tours, instant friends and got to go to additional places that perhaps most tourists don't get to see. It didn't hurt that my friend is a bartender here too...I got hooked up with drinks every night:)

There is a good assortment of people living here...a lot of them from the states, some from Puerto Rico originally, some from Vieques originally and then a few from either USVI or BVI. Most of these people live here only a portion of the year, though.

Esperanza

There are 2 main towns on Vieques, Esperanza being where Steph lives and works. It's more of the nightlife town with the better beaches. Navio and Sun Beach are 2 of the most popular, I think. BioBay is also here--one of the best Bioluminescent bays in the world.

Isabel Segunda

This town is more of the retail area, if you can call it that. The only ATM/bank on the island is here, the post office, larger grocery store, gift shops...it caters to more tourists because it's closer to the airport and the large resort.

• Last visit to Isla de Vieques: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2004

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 6:20 PM

good page..great pics...I'm thinking about going....not sure yet.

• steadydiet's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2007 at 6:27 AM

Awesome pics! I'm planning a trip for next week and I was thinking maybe Halifax. It's super cold here in NYC...why not go colder? -SD.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 2:48 PM

It looks and sounds so nice the way you describe it: simply bioluminescent!

• Erniedog's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 5:13 AM

Thanks for the Great info. I'm planning on a trip to Vieques with the Family (2,7, 11 year olds) and My wife and I were a concerned about the availablity of grocery stores and their contents.

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 11:31 AM

So very magical :)

• Jan 8, 2005 at 9:28 PM

Perfect tips for Vieques! The Bio Bay was one of the TOP things I have done in my travels! It is worth the trip to Vieques JUST for this experience although there are so many unique things to see and do here (wild horses, huge red star fish, etc).

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 9:23 PM

Classic Vieques tips! Loved them! You presented this island beautifully! I was only there once and can't really remember much - so this was really great. Thanks!!!!

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2004 at 6:55 AM

great presentation and photos - nice place!

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Nice pages. Seems like a great place!

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 11:10 AM

I caught the last 15 minutes or so of SeaLab last..Its a good thing I don't do drugs anymore :o)

PA2AKgirl

“A pet should not have a wardrobe”

Badges & Stats in Isla de Vieques

Have you been to Isla de Vieques?

Latest Activity in Isla de Vieques