"Katie's First Trip!" Boston by cruisingbug

Boston Travel Guide: 3,800 reviews and 8,028 photos

Finally! I've seen Boston!

I've been to Boston three times now. The first time I flew in, took a cab to an interview at MIT, took a cab back to the airport, ate "chowdah" at Legal Seafoods and flew back out. The second time I was supposed to take a cruise from NYC but it was post-9/11 and the harbor was closed, so I saw Boston from a bus window and then boarded the ship. So this time it was a trip to Boston, period.

It was also our first trip with our daughter, at four months old. We planned to stay three nights but ended up cutting our trip a night short - in part because we'd seen everything we wanted to, but also because we were batting .500 when it came to getting a good night's sleep.

Boston guide literature compares the city to those in Europe, but it felt very American to me, more comparable to Philadelphia with its rich sense of history. Philly's historical sites, though, felt more like museums, with their preserved pasts, while Bostonians seem to leave little hallowed ground to rest, but rather have integrated the landmarks of the Revolutionary War with modern life.

• Last visit to Boston: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2007

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM

Very nice Boston pages. Sorry about the swan boats, but honestly you didn't miss much.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 6:27 PM

We never made it to Boston while living on the East Coast! Thanks for the tour, Kendra! Baby Katie gets cuter every day...what a sweetie!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 8:44 AM

I still don't understand why the observatory at the Hancock is closed! You can get to the top of so many other buildings around the country (including NYC). Glad you enjoyed Boston in spite of our tempermental weather and crappy Public Transportation!

cruisingbug

“Have kids, will travel again someday...”

Badges & Stats in Boston