"Home in the Hudson River Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination New York State by cruisingbug

New York State Travel Guide: 23,502 reviews and 53,798 photos

We live in the Hudson River Valley, which inspired an entire school of painting, from Cole's Journey of Life series to Durand's "Kindred Spirits" to Church's "Twilight in the Wilderness."

This area has been our home since December 2000. Also home to former NY State Governor George Pataki. Our town, Garrison, has one school, one post office, one library, two golf courses. Bucolic scenery, a nice place to relax (two or maybe three - I'm not sure - monasteries have been located here). Garrison has beautiful views of the Hudson and West Point Military Academy across the river.

• Pros:Beautiful autumn scenery
  • Cons:Cold winters
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2009

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Hi Kendra, wow!I never thought of the different fairs you have brought to light would exist in New York. Our trip was--Niagara Falls, NYC, leave. Thanks to you, that has changed. I will email you for more info, again, thanks

• pcg821's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 5:44 PM

hi nice page,your photo from Bear Mt Bridge in your tip is very much like one i took and have on my page

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 9:44 AM

very nice page and very good tips -- I will need to try the Rensaissance Fair. Olana was wonderful and i tried Cafe Maya both of them in fact new one on highway nine next to I 84 great suggestions thanks.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 12:13 AM

What a fantastic page... looks like a fabulous area where you live :-) Well-deserved top-5 rank all the way! Greetings from Dubai / Jess :-)

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 10:07 PM

How's the fall this year? Always wanted to go to NY in the fall when the trees shed its leaves. I've a friend living in Kisco. How far is that from your place?

• Raffies's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 5:53 PM

great photos and tips , keep it up..

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2006 at 5:43 AM

Nicely done page, and nice pics. Was just at the Rensaissance Fair a couple of weeks ago and am going to the Dutchess Fair on Tuesday.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2005 at 1:06 PM

really great page - i worked in Conrwall, Peekskill, Goshen, Carmel for 12 years and really appreciate your efforts on here. And BTW, Merry Christmas and Mazel Tov on your new baby.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2005 at 12:26 PM

My husband and I love driving to the Hudson River Valley--you've given us more places to see. THANKS!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 7:10 AM

My husband and I try to attend the NY Ren Faire every year. Still ranks as the best we've attended.

cruisingbug Lives Here!

cruisingbug

“Have kids, will travel again someday...”

Badges & Stats in New York State

Have you been to New York State?

Latest Activity in New York State