"A Cosy Oasis" Elche by gOdOtPm
Elche Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 30 photos
Elche is the 3rd largest city in the region in terms of population size and resources. A walk through the city’s streets will show an interesting historical centre, a silent witness to its glorious past. Between the 8th and 9th centuries it was a walled city of Al-Andalus, falling to the Christians in 1265. Two kilometers south of the nowadays city its orgin can be found. La Alcudia (aka Heliké) was a primitive settlement where Iberian culture experienced a golden age, producing sculptures such as the Dama d’Elx.
Returning to the present, Elche proudly holds two items declared World Heritage by UNESCO: the Elche Mystery Play and the Palmeral (Palm Tree Forest). I will post tips for each of them.
- Pros:Full of parks and green areas
- Cons:Strong dependece on shoe industry
The military fortress of the Palacio de Altamira formed part of the ancient wall and is an excellent fortification that... more travel advice
The Arab Baths in Elche were created in the XII century. Although they are the only public baths that remain preserved,... more travel advice
gOdOtPm's Related Pages
Elche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cosy Oasis"
- "Elche, inland from Costa Blanca"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Elche
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Elche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elche
Photos in ElcheSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alicante Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Elche Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Paris Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Segovia Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Ibi Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Saint-Claude Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Granada 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Rhône-Alpes 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Bitola 1 review, 2 photos