"Sequoia National Park:California Family Adventure" Top 5 Page for this destination Sequoia National Park by awayhome

Sequoia National Park Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 629 photos

The Journey Begins

It was Memorial Day weekend & we were headed up Interstate 5 to Bakersfield. Bakersfield was our first stop on a several hour long road trip which began from our home in Los Angeles. We had just crossed over the Tejon Pass and emptied out onto the fertile valley floor when we decided we needed to stop for an iced coffee. Being that we had an early morning start my husband decided that a little coffee in his system will keep him energized enough to keep on driving north. From Bakersfield we continued north on Highway 99 to Visalia and then east on Highway 198 to the town of Three Rivers in the Western Sierra Mountain foothills. The town is picturesque and is located on the Kaweah River & is also the gateway to Sequoia National Park. This town is also the last place you can fill up on gas unless you feel like filling up at the overpriced King's Canyon Lodge deep within the national park.

Into the Foothills

After paying a $20 park entrance fee which is valid for a weeks worth of travel within the national park we headed up the winding 198 (The General's Highway). The higher we climbed in elevation the thicker the fog grew. Seeing how the vegetaion changed as we climbed up the mountain was fascinating. It was an especially beautiful sight to see the giant Sequoia groves shrouded in thick fog. My first impression of the surrounding forest was that it reminded me of some of the tropical forests in Thailand...but that may have had something to do with the fact that the dark green vegetaion was covered in fog....giving it that humid look. Our final destination was the pine covered hills at the Lodgepole campground where we eventually set up our campsite........but not before winding our way thru the Lost Grove.

The Realm of the Living Giants: Sequoia N.P.

The Lost Grove! There are true living giants in the mountains of Central California. Living, breathing organisms taller than any human, larger than the biggest whale in the ocean, and heavier than any creature here on earth. I've always heard stories of "Giants" but dissmissed them as "tall tales" or hearsay. I can now say that I believe the stories I've heard about Giants. Well, the facts have been very distorted because the Giants I saw don't have arms and legs, nor do they eat little children who wander lost in the woods. The Giants I saw were solitary, gentle Giants, who hold a commanding presence in their neck of the woods. The Giant Sequoia trees of Sequoia National Park are living wonders of our earth and they are unique only to the central forests & mountains of California. They are mammoth in size & girth. The Sequoias I saw will dwarf any human who stands at there base......and unlike us humans these living trees are peaceful & are deserving of our protection. So next time you hear a story about a Giant in the woods you can say that they really exist....just remember that I offered you the proof.

• Pros:Nature in its most brilliant form
  • Cons:Hordes of tourists on the holiday weekends
  • In a nutshell:A must see if you're in California
  • Last visit to Sequoia National Park: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2004

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 1:37 AM

excellent tips and wonderful pictures of litlte McKinley in the national park..The pictures definitely will be appreciated by him as he gets older.. Wonderful idea and great job.. Watching your pics, want to get out camping again soon!! thanks!!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Nice page on Sequoia! It's a great park, one of my favorites, I'm glad you liked it too :-)

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 10:26 AM

Great page with beautiful photographs.

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 5:18 AM

This is truly a well constructed page, Jade!!! The photographs and the tips are outstanding!!!

• percy961's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 12:00 PM

some stunning photo's of Sequoia National Park, looks a great place to visit.

• evona's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2004 at 10:13 AM

Hi Jade!! Great destination and beautiful pics!! I see your little son is glorious tourist!!!! Greetings :)

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2004 at 3:50 PM

Wow Jade...your tips and photos are so good and so detailed I almost feel as though I was there with you....oh wait...I was there! Great page ;)

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2004 at 10:26 AM

Brilliant page Jade.....McKinley gets cuter in every pic I see !!! You sure make the most out of living in the US, glad you enjoyed your trip!!

• May 30, 2004 at 11:21 PM

Nice phtographs.

awayhome

“....Me my life my travel..I just want to see the WORLD!!!....”

Badges & Stats in Sequoia National Park

Have you been to Sequoia National Park?