"Kanchanaburi - feel like my hometown" Kanchanaburi by wondersF

Kanchanaburi Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,333 photos

Kanchanaburi - an update

My first trip was in 1995 with an "Beetle"
That was a good 15 years ago and I have kept track of the changes taking place here ever since. Today, the city has not transform itself into a place with plenty of multi storey buildings. Only the access road 323 upgraded as a dual carriage way. The stretch from Sai Yok Noi to the Hell-Fire Pass beautifully transformed into a super highway.

This city the provincial capital of the same name lies 130 kilometers west of Bangkok. Except for the traffic, otherwise a straight drive on dual carriageway west and 2 hours should be a good guess. This is the 3rd largest province in Thailand.

The star attraction of this city is the River Kwai Railway bridge made famous by the film of the same name. The name "JEATH" refers to the people of 6 countries [ Japan, England, American, Australia, Thailand and Holland] who brought together to complete the railway at this sector.
Places bearing evidences of the World War II, all these make first places when it comes to top attraction.

In the second place, would be the caves and waterfalls that this province is famous for. "Erawan", together with Sai Yok Noi, Huai Khamin, these waterfalls all have a class of their own and many sights that are worth seeing.

The third and last attraction again is something to do with nature - the monastery for Tigers, once very popular but now getting infamous with exorbitant entrance fees and adverse publicity.

Many do not know that Kanchanaburi is one province that is greener than many others.

There much written earlier by many contributors about the popular places of interest, so I confine myself in letting you know my sentiments.

The most beautiful waterfalls Haui Mae Khamin is slightly off the beaten track. Gone are the looks from the earlier days, now its surrounding cleaned and offered a 7-tiers waterfall to compliment the Erawan. Oh! it is still majestic looking. Of course, the Erawan though very badly tramped still looks good with strict supervision from park officials.

I find the most memorable events in the visit would be a sea food dinner on the River Kwai. There are a lots more restaurants now cashing in the business. Forget about the commercialization, dining still gives a good feelings.

Do try to take the train ride passing by the precarious cliff side to Kanchanaburi. This is not the regular tourist ride on the train to the waterfalls offered to the general public.

Last of all I would give a thumbs up to the job done on the Hell Fire Pass. It is newly renovated and a tough walk [about 7 kilometers] under hot sun but efforts well rewarded. Going home with little bit of feelings that you have been there.

If you have time to spare, make that ride all the way to the 3 -Pagoda Pass. This will be a good chance to see the province as well as reaching the Burmese border.

In our last trip we were well rewarded in Muang Singh. A place with much less visitors and the forest around the Erawan area.

After years of traveling to the many cities of Thailand, eating with roadside stalls and dining in high end restaurants for tourist, this trip we had the chance to try out the Thai style cooking meant for the locals. One time, we ate the food offered as cooked food to the frequent patrons for daily consumption Another time, we got a cook preparing food meant for Thais dinner party and offered to us as samples.
We could not enjoy all the food presented as some were really too hot for appreciation.

The next trip is in the planning.

• Pros:Has all the ingredients for a good trip
  • Cons:I could not find time to be there
  • In a nutshell:After many times, my first choice of holiday
  • Last visit to Kanchanaburi: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2010

Comments

wondersF

“let us all be children of the world”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Kanchanaburi

Have you been to Kanchanaburi?

Latest Activity in Kanchanaburi