"Satun - Thailand southernmost Province -west coast" Satun by wondersF
Satun Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 68 photos
This is the most southernmost province on the west coast of Thailand.
Lowly populated and rather remote from Bangkok, there is nothing interesting to the public in general other than the ferry services to reach Langkawai, Malaysia.
To the locals, there is always a lot of cheap Thai products to be hawked at the border, so there is a weekly market at the tiny border outpost at the Border Thale Ban/ Wang Kelian that the traders around this province would flock to.
But to nature lovers, this province has lots of interesting destination to offer. More than the 2 commonly mentioned tourist spots of the Thale Ban National Park and Ko Tarutao Marine Park.
Some facts about Satun, the inhabitant in Satun are mainly Malays and Muslim, Thais and sea Gypsies known as Mao naan in small numbers. The majority of people from this minority race live in Ko Rawi, am island far away from Satun town.
Satun main activities is its ferry service linking with Kuala Perlis in Malaysia. Then another terminal to Ko Tarutao at Pak Bara, some 80 kilometers north of town. As for land link, there is a remote border check points between Thailand and Malaysia. This situated just after the Thale Ban National Park.
In the meantime, the highway linking Satun to Hat Yai was easy to use and hence few visitor find the need to stop over in Satun, but prefer to stay in better equipped city like Hat Yai.
The more adventurous beside visiting the pristine marine Park in Ko Tarutao would also venture far out to the remote islands of Ko Adang and further off Ko Rawi.
I find the town small and compact with little activities and stayed in the National park rather than in town.
- Pros:A good jump off point to Malaysia
- Cons:No reason to stay in town
- In a nutshell:A town to look for food if traveling in that vicinity
wondersF's Related Pages
Satun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Satun - a very beautiful place"
- "Satun: Thailand's gateway to Langkawi, Malaysia"
- "Satun - Thailand southernmost Province -west coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Satun
- Hotels in Satun
- Transportation in Satun
- Restaurants in Satun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Satun
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Satun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Satun
- Posted in Travel Penang Forum "Re: 1 Day in Penang from Cruise"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Satun - Thailand southernmost Province -west coast"
- created a Satun Travel Page "Satun - Thailand southernmost Province -west coast"
Top 10 Pages
- Makassar Intro, 17 reviews, 48 photos
- Kuala Selangor Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chumphon Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Malaysia Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Penang Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Samut Songkhram Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Trang Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Thailand Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Satun hotel reviews
- Pinnacle Satun Wangmai Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013