"Inuvik, NWT." Inuvik by Jareotto

Inuvik Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 30 photos

Driving in.

Hmmmmmmm......
Doesn't look like much, does it?
Well, this is the view on the way into town from the Airport. It gets better! ;-) Actually, "downtown" is VERY BUSY!! I couldn't believe it. There were people driving back and forth...steady! For such a small town - Inuvik was very busy.
There are about 3000 people living in Inuvik.
(I think that they were ALL driving or walking downtown at the precise moment I was there.)
There are many row homes - each a cool color - Red, Blue, Pink, Purple, Green.... Really neat to see! Very colorful.
I was surprised by the trees, as well. Inuvik is just below the tree line. I wouldn't have thought that trees could survive here as well as they do. However, as you may see in the picture - there are MANY trees and they're PRETTY BIG!
Inuvik was a very charming town. The people were very diverse, and everyone was friendly! As the town is only about 3000 population and generally, travellers are workers that frequently return - many people knew each other. Was really neat.

The Airport.

While the town of Inuvik is quite treed - the airport is really not (a good thing). The airport is quite tree-less, flat, and very much shale and slate.

Although the photo does not show this, there are many businesses at the airport. It's almost a town to itself.

Please note that the trip from the airport into Inuvik is about a 15 minute drive. If you're going by cab - expect to pay a small fortune! Actually, up north, products and services are less available than in the south. Therefore, everything up north is more expensive.

If you're able - you might want to bring some of your own food.... Please see my "Inuvik Packing List" for more information.

Lo and behold - WHAT IS THAT?!?

OK. So, Tuesday of my trip was the LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR! (There was NO nighttime for the entire period of my trip which was really cool!)

The weather had been comfortable - about 20 degrees Celcius....
Wednesday morning I woke up to.... ugh... SNOW!!

Apparently, this is no surprise and NOT out of the ordinary. I guess it happens all the time! :-S
I couldn't believe it. There was no real warning. The day before was quite nice. Anyway.... I left that afternoon (and was glad to leave the snow behind!). However, Inuvik is GREAT and can't wait to return.

• Last visit to Inuvik: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2005

Comments

Jareotto

“Zou ba!”