"Flamingos in the Land of Flamenco" Top 5 Page for this destination Celestùn by karenincalifornia
Celestùn Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 49 photos
Driving due west of Merida in Yucatan will put you at Celestun in about 90 minutes. Celestun is at the mouth of the Celestun Inlet, which is both a mangrove wetland forest and stopping point for a number of migratory birds.
We went to see the flamingos, but we weren't certain the timing was right. We read that the best time to see them was March to September. Yet in January, we were lucky enough to see hundreds of flamingos. If January isn't the best time, I am really wondering what it must look like between March and September.
I know these birds in the picture are not flamingos (just in case you were getting read to send me a note). They're great white egrets. Flamingos aren't the only feathered friends that hang out in the inlet. Keep reading. Flamingos are coming up!
This excursion in the Celestun Inlet was fun and very worthwhile. I'm glad we made the 90 minute drive from Merida. Our guide, Rodrigo, was a lot of fun. The Celestun boat ride proved to be a highlight of our trip to the Yucatan.
- Pros:A huge number of flamingos, pelicans, egrets, commorants and other local residents
- Cons:Our poorest day for weather - don't know if it was bad timing, or just being on the coast
- In a nutshell:Like a Discovery Channel show -- or Pirates of the Carribbean
Between Merida and Celestun are a number of small Yucatecan towns. Very poor, but they have their charm. Typically, in... more travel advice
After our excursion in the Celestun Inlet, we stopped off at Restaurant Chivirico for some lunch. Chivirico had an... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Celestùn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flamingos in the Land of Flamenco"
- "Nature reserve at Celestùn"
- "Celestun; the pink flamingo colonies"
- "Pictures of Celestun"
- "Celestún, Yucatán"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Celestùn
- Hotels in Celestùn
- Restaurants in Celestùn
- Warnings and Dangers in Celestùn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Celestùn
- 12 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Celestùn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Celestùn
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue