"Flamingos in the Land of Flamenco" Top 5 Page for this destination Celestùn by karenincalifornia

Celestùn Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 49 photos

Driving due west of Merida in Yucatan will put you at Celestun in about 90 minutes. Celestun is at the mouth of the Celestun Inlet, which is both a mangrove wetland forest and stopping point for a number of migratory birds.

We went to see the flamingos, but we weren't certain the timing was right. We read that the best time to see them was March to September. Yet in January, we were lucky enough to see hundreds of flamingos. If January isn't the best time, I am really wondering what it must look like between March and September.

I know these birds in the picture are not flamingos (just in case you were getting read to send me a note). They're great white egrets. Flamingos aren't the only feathered friends that hang out in the inlet. Keep reading. Flamingos are coming up!

This excursion in the Celestun Inlet was fun and very worthwhile. I'm glad we made the 90 minute drive from Merida. Our guide, Rodrigo, was a lot of fun. The Celestun boat ride proved to be a highlight of our trip to the Yucatan.

• Pros:A huge number of flamingos, pelicans, egrets, commorants and other local residents
  • Cons:Our poorest day for weather - don't know if it was bad timing, or just being on the coast
  • In a nutshell:Like a Discovery Channel show -- or Pirates of the Carribbean
  • Last visit to Celestùn: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 25, 2007

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 11:46 AM

canary2 likes you ;-] Maybe you can take him to see los crocodiles? ;-] Nice tips on an interesting trip.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 1:59 PM

It is great that your bird-watching expedition worked out in the end and you were able to marvel at those beautiful flamingos! I've always loved a good boat ride through mangrove swamps myself - did it on the New Orleans coast a few years ago.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 5:17 PM

My daughter once spent a year in Brazil researching the effects of oil pollution on the mangrove forests. (It's not good for them.) Great luck that you saw the US Senate in session and kept meeting the one person out of 1000s who wasn't out to cheat you.

• Jan 24, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Those are egrets not flamingos.

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Celestùn

Have you been to Celestùn?