"The Yellow City" Izamal by karenincalifornia
Izamal Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 50 photos
Izamal is a large town (or small city) located about halfway between Merida and Chichen Itza It's history goes back at least 2,000 years and is worth a stop. Many of the buildings in the central area are painted a mustard yellow, which distinguishes the city from others around it. It is also the site of Mayan ruins, which we did not visit since we ran out of time.
- Pros:Quaint, the monochrome is interesting, uncrowded, not too touristy
- Cons:Yucatan is trying to promote tourism, but that hasn't spoiled this town yet.
- In a nutshell:A very worthwhile side trip, fun to photograph
I've mentioned in other tips that it is tough being a vegetarian in Yucatan State. Most restaurants do not have... more travel advice
The Convent of San Antonio de Padua in Izamal a destination for Catholics making a pilgrimage to pray at the feel of... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Izamal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Izamal: The Oldest City of Yucatan"
- "The Yellow City"
- "Izamal the yellow city"
- "Ciudad Amarilla (Yellow City)"
- "Izamal, la ciudad amarilla"
- "Izamal, the yellow city."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Izamal
- Transportation in Izamal
- Restaurants in Izamal
- Warnings and Dangers in Izamal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Izamal
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Izamal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Izamal
Photos in IzamalSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue