"Feliz Año Nuevo en Mérida, Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Mérida by karenincalifornia
Mérida Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 710 photos
We greeted the new year 2007 in Merida, Mexico. Merida knows how to party! The capital of Yucatan State, Merida is an interesting mix of neighborhoods, food, activities and attractions. Merida has a very distinct Spanish/European colonial influence. Indeed, walking through the city streets, we felt as if we were in Mexico one moment, Spain the next.
Hotel accommodations can be found in the Centro Historico, a delightful area of Merida, or if one prefers, at one of several large chain hotels to the north near the intersection of Paseo de Montejo and Ave. Colon. We stayed in the Centro Historico, but ate dinner one evening on Ave. Colon. What a huge difference! On Ave. Colon, we felt as if we had suddenly been transported to Anywhere, USA. (Anywhere, USA with mega bucks, that is.)
If you want it, you can stay at hotels that are just like the large ones in the USA. Merida has a Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Fiesta Americana or Intercontinental on Ave. Colon/Paseo de Montejo. It's like an oasis of the USA transplanted into the heart of Mexico. Even the people all look like they are from Florida. However, I do not recommend staying in this area. If you want to truly experience Merida, Centro Historico is the place to stay and spend your time.
We traveled with our two teenagers, and as it turned out, Yucatan was a perfect place for a family vacation with older children. We spent our evenings in Merida, and our days exploring the countryside. Mayan archaeological sites dominate the area. We chose to visit two sites - Uxmal and Chichen Itza. Both are spectacular, yet unique. We were completely awed by the technological advances and the amazing architecture produced by this ancient culture.
We headed west to Celestun for a memorable day trip from Merida. In Celestun, we hired a boat and guide to take us into the Celestun inlet to see the migrating flamingos and white pelicans, and to meander through the mangrove forest. That excursion was topped off with a lunch of super fresh sea food, caught that morning from in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Pros:Amazing culture and history, tasty food, not touristy, relatively inexpensive, variety of activities
- Cons:I wouldn't want to be here in the dead of summer
- In a nutshell:So unique - not like the rest of Mexico (this can be said for any part of Mexico!)
ATMs are prevalent in Merida, so we had no problem exchanging money. In addition, several shops had exchange windows... more travel advice
Loltun Caves are about 90 minutes south of Merida in the Puuc Hills. The Yucatan peninsula is a fascinating mass of... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Mérida Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MERIDA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA"
- "Friendly Mérida"
- "Feliz Año Nuevo en Mérida, Mexico"
- "The Cultural Capital of the Yucatan"
- "Walking along Merida"
- "Sunday in Merida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mérida
- Hotels in Mérida
- Transportation in Mérida
- Nightlife in Mérida
- Restaurants in Mérida
- Shopping in Mérida
- Warnings and Dangers in Mérida
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mérida
- 23 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Mérida?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mérida
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue