"Puerto Morelos, Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Morelos by karenincalifornia

Puerto Morelos Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 199 photos

The Mayan Riviera - Never a dull moment

On one of our three-day jaunts down to Mexico, my husband and I picked the Yucatan peninsula. We didn't want to stay in crowded Cancun, so we opted for a small fishing village 20 minutes south of Cancun. The place we landed at was Puerto Morelos, a low-key, lazy village, which is also the location of the ferry crossing to Cozumel.

Our trip to Puerto Morelos was - well, interesting. We avoided a robbery, car-jacking or abduction (not sure which - thankfully, something we never had to discover), stayed near a place that was guarded by guys carrying AK-47s, pulled boa constrictors from our necks, bonded with the crocodiles, and ended up in a condominium complex that is now a nudist resort. Just your typical 3-day weekend.

We also visited some spectacular Mayan ruins, accomplished that spine-tingling climb up and down the Pyramid at Chichen Itza, had our own private guide for snorkeling and picked up conch shells bigger than grapefruit right off the beach.

• Pros:Laid back, uncrowded, not too hot in January
  • Cons:An AK-47 or an Uzi is regarded as a fashion accessory
  • In a nutshell:A peaceful place with more machine guns per capita than any other place I have visited (so far)
  • Last visit to Puerto Morelos: Jan 1994
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2005

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 11:56 AM

Heading to Durango soon. youtube.com/watch?v=najM-8gK... Looks kind of familiar to your Yucatan ;-]

• Hermanater's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Happy Birthday.......I enjoyed your pages........hopefully James invites you over for that beer this year...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 4:16 PM

Weird place . . .

• photozrus's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 5:13 PM

Are there really men with guns? I'm going there for the New Year with my husband & 7 year old son. Should we cancel the trip?

• Jun 7, 2005 at 9:49 AM

The mayan ruins were great. We are a great fan of the mayan civilisations.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 1:20 PM

Hi Karen, I was pretty sure what with snakes, crocs and machine guns I was "Chicken for Chichen"! But any chance of clothing optional defiantly puts me in the poultry category :-O I really want to see the pyramids tho...Tom

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2005 at 12:59 PM

I like your new tips, KCC. What's yours is Mayan and what's Mayan is yours. :) BTW, did that Mayan Baseball Commissioner support steroid testing? UR the SWOTP.

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in Puerto Morelos

Have you been to Puerto Morelos?