"San Miguel de Allende" Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende by karenincalifornia

San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 141 reviews and 321 photos

A touch of Europe in Mexico

When we lived in Southern California, we celebrated Martin Luther King Day weekend (third Monday in January) by traveling to Mexico -- not because there is any real significant connection there, but because both our firms were closed on that Monday. So, what better place to spend a three day weekend in January? Our goal was to go somewhere new in Mexico every year. Much of the fun was picking a spot in Mexico we had never been to before.

One of my favorite places was San Miguel de Allende in the Central Highlands, north of Mexico City.

San Miguel de Allende has a unique mix of cultures. The architecture has a very strong Spanish-European influence, giving the city a distinct European feel. The city is also home to many US ex pats, including artists and writers. Shops, restaurants, galleries and hotels in the central part of the city are quite upscale.

We happened to be there on January 21, which is the day San Miguelenses remember the founder of their city, celebrating the birthday of Ignacio Allende with parades. Even the school children participate. They were so adorable - I couldn't resist featuring them on my intro!

• Pros:Beautiful 16th to19th century buildings, superb food, numerous galleries with top quality art
  • In a nutshell:A perfect escape from the United States in January
  • Last visit to San Miguel de Allende: Jan 1996
  • Intro Updated Jan 30, 2007

• Aug 17, 2008 at 5:02 PM

Hi Karen, We love the countryside too! Try SMAmap (http://SMAmap.com) for maps to locations in the country, especially north of San Miguel. Nice fotos!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 9:43 AM

A delight to read, Karen. What a nice idea to go to a new place in Mexico when you have long weekends. Beautiful place and your write-ups were quite enticing. Some beautiful photographs, indeed.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 7:36 AM

This looks a charming place...well photographed and excellent tips! Happy travels, Blu

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2005 at 2:23 AM

Hi Karen: I FINALLY made it to San Miguel de Allende (not for my birthday in Jan., but took my Mom there in April.) It was a lovely town. I also liked the surrounding cities (Guanajuato, Dolores Hidalgo) Thanks to you & your tips for inspiring me to go!

• guell's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2005 at 10:37 AM

We'll be there in three weeks...and we'll be staying in three different B&B's! Still haven't decided what to do about getting there. Rent a car? Take the bus? Hire a driver?

• Royal63's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 11:35 PM

Thank you for commenting on my Pozos page! Yes, you'll have to return to San Miguel soon. I head back to San Miguel May 2005.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 11:04 AM

Great pictures and tips! San Miguel de Allende sounds to be an interesting place!

• lamentforicarus's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 4:04 PM

Beautiful pictures and interesting information on this wonderful town. I hope to visit San Miguel next March.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2004 at 3:41 PM

The starting point. Literally page one.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2004 at 2:13 PM

Nice tips on a very interesting trip. No cows on this trip though;-/

karenincalifornia

“Happy hours . . . timeless friends”

Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende

Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?