"San Miguel de Allende" Top 5 Page for this destination San Miguel de Allende by karenincalifornia
San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 335 photos
When we lived in Southern California, we celebrated Martin Luther King Day weekend (third Monday in January) by traveling to Mexico -- not because there is any real significant connection there, but because both our firms were closed on that Monday. So, what better place to spend a three day weekend in January? Our goal was to go somewhere new in Mexico every year. Much of the fun was picking a spot in Mexico we had never been to before.
One of my favorite places was San Miguel de Allende in the Central Highlands, north of Mexico City.
San Miguel de Allende has a unique mix of cultures. The architecture has a very strong Spanish-European influence, giving the city a distinct European feel. The city is also home to many US ex pats, including artists and writers. Shops, restaurants, galleries and hotels in the central part of the city are quite upscale.
We happened to be there on January 21, which is the day San Miguelenses remember the founder of their city, celebrating the birthday of Ignacio Allende with parades. Even the school children participate. They were so adorable - I couldn't resist featuring them on my intro!
- Pros:Beautiful 16th to19th century buildings, superb food, numerous galleries with top quality art
- In a nutshell:A perfect escape from the United States in January
We rented a car in Mexico City and drove to San Miguel de Allende. As I recall, it took us about 3 hours. The hardest... more travel advice
The streets are narrow and can't accomodate cars very well. The city would do well to close of the main part of town to... more travel advice
- Promenade in El Jardin Principal
- See All Proof that hotel food can be great
- Stay in a colonial mansion
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
San Miguel de Allende Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Miguel de Allende"
- "My first trip to Mexico! An incredible journey!"
- "Another Side of Mexico"
- "San Miguel de Allende, Mexico"
- "SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, MEXICO"
- "Special Lil' Place"
- "Travel Notes from San Miguel de Allende"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Miguel de Allende
- Hotels in San Miguel de Allende
- Transportation in San Miguel de Allende
- Nightlife in San Miguel de Allende
- Restaurants in San Miguel de Allende
- Shopping in San Miguel de Allende
- Warnings and Dangers in San Miguel de Allende
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Miguel de Allende
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to San Miguel de Allende?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Miguel de Allende
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Commented on one of lareina's San Miguel de Allende travel pages
- updated a San Miguel de Allende Travel Page "San Miguel de Allende"
- Wrote a Review Rent a car to get there - then park it in San Miguel de Allende Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rent a car to get there - then park it"
Photos in San Miguel de AllendeSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue