"Uxmal, an ancient Mayan city" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Uxmal by karenincalifornia
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
Uxmal is the largest and most spectacular Mayan ruin on the Ruta Puuc, a scenic drive south of Merida where the hills meet the flats of the Yucatan Peninsula. We had been to Chichen Itza a few years ago, so we were so pleasantly surprised to find that Uxmal had only a fraction of the number of visitors that Chichen Itza has, but is no less spectacular.
If you are spending time on the Yucatan Peninsula and want visit some of the Mayan sites, you must put Uzmal on your list. It took us about 80 minutes to drive from Merida to Uxmal, and was well worth the drive.
Along the Ruta Puuc are several other smaller archaeological sites (Kabah, Sayil, and Labna). I wish we had had time to stop at these smaller sites - I have heard they are quite spectucular, too, but we knew we wouldn't have time since we wanted squeeze in Loltun Caves before the end of the day.
- Pros:Breathtaking ruins, well preserved, lacks the crowds of Chichen Itza
- Cons:Like all of inland Yucatan, it's hot, even in January
- In a nutshell:A great day trip for two parents and their teenage kids
We wanted to eat at the outdoor restaurant at Uxmal famed for its regional food, but they didn't open until 1pm, and we... more travel advice
A spectacular view of the Pyramid can be found from the Governor's Palace. To me it is rather eerie to see these huge... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Ruinas Uxmal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mayan ruins at Uxmal"
- "The Amazing Mayan Ruins at Uxmal"
- "Uxmal, an ancient Mayan city"
- "Mayan Wonderland!"
- "Impressions of Uxmal"
- "Pyramid of the Magician"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ruinas Uxmal
- Hotels in Ruinas Uxmal
- Transportation in Ruinas Uxmal
- Nightlife in Ruinas Uxmal
- Restaurants in Ruinas Uxmal
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruinas Uxmal
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ruinas Uxmal
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Ruinas Uxmal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas Uxmal
- Posted in Travel San Juan Forum "Re: Safest and most reliable way..."
- Wrote a Review Outstanding Yucatecan Food in Ruinas Uxmal Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Outstanding Yucatecan Food"
- updated a Ruinas Uxmal Travelogue "More Photos of Uxmal"
- Commented on one of leffe3's Ruinas Uxmal travel pages
Photos in Ruinas UxmalSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue