"Move over Napa" Walla Walla by karenincalifornia
Walla Walla Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 83 photos
When I was a college student traveling in between my college town in the Rockies and my home town of Federal Way, Washington, Walla Walla was just a place along the way, near the Umatilla Bridge, a crossing over the Columbia River in the midst of wheat, hay and onion fields. Back then, no one went there unless they lived there. And hardly anyone lived there to begin with.
Little did I know, while I was making those trips to and from my college town and home town, an entrepreneurial young man by the name of Gary Leonetti planted his first vineyards near Walla Walla and produced his first wine in 1978. The wine was a hit and he expanded his vineyards. Today, Leonetti Cellars wines are next to impossible to come by if you are just a regular person like me, and if you do find them, they cost over $100 per bottle.
Other vintners followed suit, with a few vineyards being established in the 1980s. The new wineries proliferated in the 90s, and the 00s. Yearly, more wineries are releasing their first vintages - for good reason. The terroir is conducive to producing amazing red wines - primarily cabernet sauvignon, merlot, syrah and signature blends.
For the past several years, my husband and I have made it a tradition to celebrate our anniversaries somewhere in the wine country. We live so close to Sonoma and Napa - it is such an easy thing to plan. However, after several years of Sonoma and Napa, we wanted to branch out. Last year we went to wacky Santa Cruz. Emboldened by that trip, this year we selected a wine country even more off the beaten path. Walla Walla definitely fit that bill.
In California, we rarely come across Walla Walla wines. They simply are not available at restaurants here, and frankly wouldn't sell at this time because Californians don't know where Walla Walla is. Very few wine stores carry them. I would have continued on in this blissful ignorance, but fate nudged me in the other direction.
Earlier this summer we traveled to Tacoma, Washington for a wedding, and I saw Walla Walla wines on a couple of wine lists. I laughed. That is kind of like seeing wine from North Dakota or Utah. But we tried them, and they were out of this world. I stopped laughing. I just HAD to see what had transpired in this land of wheat, hay and onion fields which a few years ago was nothing more than a boring stretch of road on my way home from college.
It's not Napa yet. The area hasn't been transformed into vast vineyards yet. The wineries are small boutique wineries focusing on "hand crafted" wines. (Wine-speak for "Our wines are not mass produced and besides we have a small staff.") I'll be keeping my eye on these Walla Walla wines from now on.
In addition to producing outstanding wines, the Walla Walla area turned to be a fun place all around for a three day weekend.
- Pros:Few crowds, excellent wines, nice wide streets for cycling, pleasant dry weather, interesting history
- Cons:Infrastructure doesn't fully support tourism - yet. E.g., great bicycle paths, but difficult to rent bikes; beautiful mountains but little information available on hiking trails, no outdoors stores
- In a nutshell:A rising star among wine countries
If I were writing this tip 160 years ago, I would be telling you this is how you get to Walla Walla. Follow the Oregon... more travel advice
Luscious by Nature is a casual eatery near downtown featuring fresh ingredients and creative dishes. I had a caprese... more travel advice
- Shopping wars
- Whitman College
- See All Sharpstein School
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Walla Walla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Move over Napa"
- "Wine Country!"
- "Washington wine country"
- "Walla Walla Walla Walla"
- "Lorelei66's new Walla Walla Page"
- "Mugzy76's new Walla Walla Page"
- "debdeb's new Walla Walla page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Walla Walla
- Hotels in Walla Walla
- Transportation in Walla Walla
- Restaurants in Walla Walla
- Shopping in Walla Walla
- Warnings and Dangers in Walla Walla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Walla Walla
- 25 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Walla Walla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Walla Walla
Photos in Walla WallaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Walla Walla hotel reviews