"Vinalhaven - Connecting to the Past" Vinalhaven by karenincalifornia
Vinalhaven Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 83 photos
Vinalhaven is so off the beaten path, it gets only 2,000 or so visitors each year. And Vinalhaven thinks that's a lot! This beautiful island is located 15 miles off the coast of Maine - the closest mainland town is Rockland.
Vinalhaven holds exceptional significance for me. This is where 4 generations of my family once lived - until they were converted by missionaries to a new religion in the 1830's. After their conversion, they left the island to join the other members of their religion in the midwest.
I'm glad we made the side trip to Vinalhaven, even though it was short, and we fell into the category of the lowest of the low - the day trippers. Walking in the footsteps of one's ancestors is always exhilarating, sobering, and cathartic. I wouldn't have missed it for anything, and it pleased me greatly to see my children enjoy it, too.
- Pros:Quaint, just like it must have appeared 100 years ago, quiet, colorful, beautiful, produces good genes
- Cons:Few lodging accommodations on the island (also considered a plus), no nightclubs if you're the nightclubbing type
- In a nutshell:A great way to spend a lazy day and gorge oneself on the best lobster rolls in Maine!
In an area where everyone either is in the lobster business or is related to someone who is, what do 4th graders on... more travel advice
To my great disappointment, the Historical Society at Vinalhaven was closed on the day we were there. I was so looking... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Vinalhaven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vinalhaven - Connecting to the Past"
- "Vinalhaven Island - A Real Maine Experience"
- "The new arrivals...."
- "Sights on Vinalhaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vinalhaven
- Hotels in Vinalhaven
- Transportation in Vinalhaven
- Restaurants in Vinalhaven
- Shopping in Vinalhaven
- Warnings and Dangers in Vinalhaven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vinalhaven
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Vinalhaven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vinalhaven
Photos in VinalhavenSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue