"Asturias - the Green Spain" Top 5 Page for this destination Asturias by karenincalifornia
Asturias Travel Guide: 573 reviews and 7,246 photos
Asturians will tell you Asturias is Spain and the rest is conquered land. That is because Asturias is the only province in Spain that was not conquered by the Moors. As a result, it does not have a Moorish influence like other parts of Spain. After traveling to Barcelona and Anducia, Asturias seemed like a completely different country. It's green all over, it can be wet and foggy, instead of flamenco, you're likely to hear bagpipes, you'll find apple trees instead of olive trees.
We spent 16 days in Spain and I wanted to spend some of the time in a part of Spain that was considered off the beaten path for most Americans. Asturias in the northwest part of Spain, on the Bay of Biscay, seemed to fit the bill. Only Galicia is farther to the west. Indeed, when I told people at home we were going to Asturias, the first question was "Where's that?" The second was "Why Asturias?"
Why Asturias? Why Astuias, indeed! The real question is "Why go anywhere else?"
- Pros:Beautiful, uncrowded, green, pastoral, rural, fantastic food, friendly people
- Cons:Weather can turn suddenly - be prepared
- In a nutshell:Gorgeous - a perfect vacation!
Covadonga is a place of great historical significance for the Asturian people. It lies at the foot of the Picos de... more travel advice
The Picos de Europa National Park in Asturias is very popular for hiking (or "walking", as our British hosts called it).... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Asturias Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Camino Primitivo"
- "Asturias/Asturies "Paraiso Natural""
- "Asturias - the Green Spain"
- "adventurous asturias."
- "The place for travellers not for tourists"
- "The Asturien Coastline"
- "The landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asturias
- Hotels in Asturias
- Transportation in Asturias
- Nightlife in Asturias
- Restaurants in Asturias
- Shopping in Asturias
- Warnings and Dangers in Asturias
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asturias
- 31 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Asturias?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asturias
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue