"Tallahassee Magic" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee by karenincalifornia
Tallahassee Travel Guide: 167 reviews and 296 photos
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I visited Tallahassee. Before I knew much about this city, I pictured the stereotypical Floridian city - palm trees, flat, glamour, glitz, timeshares, and beaches.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Tallahassee has none of this. Well, almost none of this. I did find two palm trees, but other than that, Tallahassee was a complete and very pleasant surprise. The countryside consists of endless brilliant green rolling hills and beautiful two lane country roads lined with live oaks and dogwoods. "Glamour" and "glitz" are not appropriate adjectives at all. To the contrary, Tallahassee is quaint, charming, and homey with more historical landmarks than condos. No beaches will be found in Tallahassee - it is 35 miles inland - so leave the beach umbrella at home. Despite being inland, Tallahassee has plenty of water. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 1,209 swamps and ponds (home to Tally residents of the alligator and snake species) in the area.
The best part of Tallahassee is the people. The friendly Tally natives really know how to make visitors feel very welcome. One afternoon, as I was waiting on a park bench in downtown Tallahassee for my ride, every single person who walked by me greeted me with a smile and a "Hello."
Tallahassee is a city that takes its universities and sports programs very seriously. Visit the city during a weekend when the Florida State University football team is playing at home and you will watch this relatively peaceful city transform itself into one gigantic party.
FSU's colors are garnet and gold. Sports are huge at FSU. The garnet and gold colors are resplendent throughout the city. In true school spirit, even roses reflect the FSU color scheme.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Tallahassee and I look forward to returning some day.
- Pros:Friendly natives, emerald green hills, historical landmarks
- Cons:Long traffic lights that aren't synchronized - put a good CD in your car stereo to pass the time
- In a nutshell:A perfect spot for a weekend getaway
The Courtyard by Marriott is my favorite place to stay in Tallahassee. The staff is friendly and they made sure I... more travel advice
If you attend an FSU home game, be sure to take in the half time entertainment, rather than stand in line at the food... more travel advice
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Tallahassee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "tallahassee florida"
- "Center of Growth for the region"
- "Tallahassee Magic"
- "This is my home."
- "Basaic Tallahassee Page"
- "Tallahassee, Florida"
- "Florida's capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallahassee
- Hotels in Tallahassee
- Transportation in Tallahassee
- Nightlife in Tallahassee
- Restaurants in Tallahassee
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallahassee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallahassee
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Tallahassee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallahassee
Photos in TallahasseeSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue