"Tahoe City, California" Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City by karenincalifornia
Tahoe City Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 209 photos
When I escape to Lake Tahoe, I like the Tahoe City area on the North Shore best of all. In the winter, world class skiing at Squaw Valley is only 15 minutes away. Of all the ski resorts in California, Squaw Valley has become my favorite because of its large number of runs, diversity of terrain, challenging runs and long season.
In the summer, there is no shortage of activities. Worshippers of the outdoors can choose from many activities, such as golf, hiking, mountain biking, swimming, horseback riding, ice skating and fly fishing.
You can even waterski on the lake -- that is, if you don't mind donning a wet suit and jumping into arctic temp water. Yes, I have been so foolish as to do this. It was fine once I was gliding across the water, but jumping in the water is sheer torture.
Having put myself through this foolishness, not just for one day, but for two, I can categorically state that this is NOT the lake for waterskiing.
- Pros:Loads of activities, close to Squaw Valley, away from the glitz and crowds of South Lake Tahoe
- Cons:Funky video rental shops with strange selections of movies; very cold lake for swimming or waterskiing
- In a nutshell:This is a far better place to stay at than the South Shore
Stand up paddling has become quite popular at Lake Tahoe. If you haven't tried it yet, this is a very good place to... more travel advice
I rented this cute little cabin last weekend when I went skiing with my daughter. It was just perfect for the two of us,... more travel advice
- See All How's this for a vegetarian dish?
- See All You can try this at home
- See All Boating around the Lake
- Shopping on the upswing in Tahoe City
karenincalifornia's Related Pages
Tahoe City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tahoe City, California"
- "Tahoe City"
- "North Shore Splendour"
- "Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!"
- "North Shore Lake Tahoe- Under Construction- Check"
- "The mouth of Tahoe"
- "Lake Tahoe by a Family That Lives There"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tahoe City
- Hotels in Tahoe City
- Transportation in Tahoe City
- Nightlife in Tahoe City
- Restaurants in Tahoe City
- Shopping in Tahoe City
- Warnings and Dangers in Tahoe City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tahoe City
- 39 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Tahoe City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tahoe City
Photos in Tahoe CitySee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- San Francisco Intro, 70 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael Intro, 53 reviews, 79 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe Intro, 43 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Todi Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Montenegro Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City Intro, 39 reviews, 42 photos
- Rome Intro, 38 reviews, 41 photos
- Estado de Nayarit Intro, 22 reviews, 57 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denali National Park and Preserve Intro, 30 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue